• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Third pairing, a whole lot of shaking going on?

CornBoy

Third weekly try of an unproven adult male 5+ years with a 3 year old unproven female. This time, the female just shed last night, so far they have been chasing each other around her viv, and they are doing a lot of tail rattling and tail slapping! Is this something to worry about? This is our first try at breeding, any advice would be appreciated! :)
Thanks
Rob

Some pairs can raise the roof in the process. As long as there's no actual striking or aggression, then I'd put it down to being part of the routine.

However, if the female continues to try and get away, it means she isn't receptive. It's best to separate them so that she isn't stressed and try them again in a few days.

The shed skin will contain a lot of the female's pheramones. You could try keeping it in a sealed bag and putting it in with them when you next pair them up. I've no idea whether pheramones are preserved like that and I've never done it myself, but it might be worth a try to see if it keep the male in the mood.

Thanks for the tips! I will separate them now, since she has already decided to go and hide!

Maybe I'm wasting time with this old (alleged) male? Should I go ahead and try another younger male who's sexing I'm more confident in?
Thanks again
Rob

It sounds like it's more the female that's the issue, rather than the male. You could try a second male - there have been instances of a proven male and proven female wanting nothing to do with each other. Some pairings just don't work. But if the female is the problem, then neither male is going to get her going!

If the second male is a different morph/hets to the first male, then that might muddy the waters when the hatchlings emerge. Apparently unsuccessful pairings can actually result in fertilisation even if the hook-up is only momentary. Ultimately, any hatchlings could have been fathered by either of your males.

Apparently unsuccessful pairings can actually result in fertilisation even if the hook-up is only momentary. Ultimately, any hatchlings could have been fathered by either of your males.

Ah! Thanks, good to know this! I really wanted to let this old guy prove himself, so I guess I will keep trying every few days! :)
Thanks again
Rob

9 days ago at the last pairing attempt, it was HIM that went and curled up in the corner, and SHE was trying to be friendly.
Now that she had shed, I figured it might go...

Next Time! :)

Back