• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

this is about the mice

snkegrl

i am just wondering if your doesn't feed on the amount of mice you set out for it what do you do with that the mice.

do you put it back in the freezer or do you throw it away
:confused:

I have enough corns that I just feed it to another one. I will not reuse at a later date.

Write 'em off once thawed for safety sake...

doesn't feed on the amount of mice you set out for it what do you do
:) Toss them puppys out :)
Recycling kills!
I just made that slogan up.....
I have a funny feeling that the aluminum can recycling industry guys aren't going to like that slogan. ;)

I agree with Cowboy. Think about it. When you put a mouse in with a snake, it will be immediately contaminated with the remnants of feces of the snake. If you feed it to another snake, you are feeding some of the feces of the first snake with the mouse. Since many diseases of snakes are fecal born, then you are immediately exposing the second snake to the disease of the first one.

The only safe alternative is to dangle the mouse by the tail when you offer it to the snake without touching the floor. If the snake doesn't want it, then you could safely feed it to the next one since it hasn't touched anything on the floor of the cage.

imho\

Mark

I am not sure why there would be feces on the floor of any cage. If a person uses paper towel or newspaper you can be assured its 100% feces free after cleaning.

If you defrost a mouse and your snake doesn't want it, feed it to another snake right away or throw it out.

bmm

I don't feed in the cage and I practice rabid sterilization so I'm not overly worried about "cross-fecal contamination". I think that basic husbandry skills should eliminate that concern.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating sacrificing the health of the snake for a larger profit margin, just trying to apply some common sense. When you feed more than 30-40 snakes at a single setting, you notice that up to 10-20% may not eat for various reasons (Shed cycle, breeding activities, ect) I plan for this and feed the ones that I think may refuse food first. If I am right and they don't eat, I simply offer it to another right away. For folks that earn a living breeding reptiles, tossing every morsal would be a substantial annual expense. I can't imagine that throwing out perfectly good food items would be a viable business decision.

I would be interested in hearing what some of the larger breeders have to say on this topic.

Well all thats obvious! :D

I am sure there is no alternative aside from just feeding it to another snake.

I don't know anyone who just throws them out unless they have no other snake. Its just common sense, breeding commercially or not.

bmm

I USED TO

PLACE THEM BACK.

in the freezer untill last year i fed a re-frozen mouse to my adult male and within 4 hours it was dead,i dont know if the two are related but i will NEVER do it again.

STEVE.......

Back