• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

This may have been addressed

lonewolf19k

Semper Paratus
BUt, my wife is now 19 weeks prego and she applied to a job that told her that she cannot handle snakes or any other reptiles.

She handles Peelz (red albino corn) but washes her hands afterward.

Is she in any danger of getting Salminila like the CDC and other sites say?
Should I give up Peelz?

Help me people! lol:blowhead:

There was a very similar post on this not too long ago but I can't seem to find it by searching. This was a much older post that I found though.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107360&highlight=risk+pregnant

Basically what everyone says is, wash your hands, keep the snakes cage(s) clean and don't stick any part of the snake or it's bedding, in your mouth, and you have waaay less chance of getting anything from them than you do with poultry, eggs or other groceries you get at the super market. Or even from the family dog or cat.

The only thing I didnt do was clean kitty litter while pregnant. Handling reptiles I think good hand hygene is the key. There is always a risk though.

The job doesn't want to be liable if your wife gets infected and it causes damage to the unborn child. Good hygiene keeps the risk minimal.

Pet Shop Job. The interviewer said she COULD NOT handle reptiles.

I checked into it then asked you all and everyone says the same.

Clean up afterwards and no french kissing.

Oh- I thought the job said she couldn't handle her OWN snakes!

It's much more dangerous to handle raw chicken. :)

Okay- no, I would not give up your snake! Make sure she is careful about hand hygiene after handling him- I would suggest actual handwashing with soap and water- look on CDC for proper handwashing technique. Then everyone practice proper handwashing after the baby is born, and when he is old enough to touch/handle, make sure you instill that habit in him.

I am BAD about kissing on my snakes ALL the time. I haven't gotten salmonella yet, (knock on wood!) but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

Expect pressure from your parents...

Which brings us to one of my favorite memories. Tim, a member who has moved on, was at a reptile show with a bunch of us Florida people. He was holding some snake, and we said- What does that snake taste like?? (Kind of a CS inside joke.) Tim replies- salmonella!

On salmonella, I grew up in a poultry producing area (mostly turkeys) that has a yearly poultry festival. I've NEVER gotten food poisoning from Salmonella, and when I was on a high risk pregnancy and they did titers for everything under the sun, the perinatologist commented that I had "strong antibodies" to it. I didn't grow up handling chickens, but apparently there was enough in the air, soil, etc that I built up the sort of immunity normally seen in farm workers, just by living there.

Based on that, my guess is that having reptiles in the household may well build up the same sort of passive immunity. I would suggest having tanks in a room that can be shut/gated off with toddlers, and having any big racks and things like that tethered to the wall, because of the risk of a child pulling over a tank on top of them, which would be bad for both the child and the snake.

The one thing I'd suggest is that if you have cats (or dogs) that you shut them out when cleaning. I've heard of a couple of cases where cats have used a turtle pond or water bowl as a water dish (either with outdoor turtle pens or while changing out tanks) and other people have petted the cat and ended up getting salmonella. I shut the cats out when I'm changing tanks, especially when I'm doing a water change/refresh on the frog tanks for that reason.

I do wonder-does the pet shop have cats? If so, do they not allow pregnant women to work with them, too? Our local pet stores have areas for shelters to bring in cats/dogs to be housed in the store for adoption, so employees are changing litter etc.

Back