• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

This & That: Scales, Escapes, and Recoveries

sweet~nichole~marie

Tallulah's Mama
So, I was feeding some of the snakes today and just had a few thoughts . . .

One, my babies have absolutely zero aggressive feeding response ~LOL~ None of my snakes bother to constrict . . . they just grab the pinkie and start to eat it. Is that because they always eat frozen and never learned to constrict? But I have seen photos that other people have taken of their babies constricting f/t mice. Weird. I guess I have all "polite" snakes :p

Another thought . . . I am so glad I bought a digital scale. I got the My Weigh that Nanci recommended and it was one of the best purchases. I realised that I was under-feeding 2 of my adults based on how much my mice weighed. I had been giving them mice that only weighed 13g and my snakes should have been getting 25g worth based on their weights! I couldn't believe how small the "adult" mice were. I am so glad I started weighing my snakes and their food! I am now following the Munson Plan and weighing my snakes every week. Plus, it is exciting to see my little babies putting on weight.

Adie, if you see this, Maelog now weighs 21g. Whoot!!! What a piglet.

The last thing I thought I would ramble on about is a story about how much of a hero my boyfriend, Alastair, is. The other night I had my first snake escape. My pretty little ghost girl disappeared out of her box and I tore apart the snake room looking for her. Pulled all the bookcases away from the walls, took everthing out of the closet, no snake. Great . . . she slipped under the door (I had planned on getting one of those plastic things that slide along the bottom of the door to keep out drafts, but hadn't yet . . . stupid me!) and was somewhere loose in the house. Argh! So, now began the same type of search through the house, looking under all the furniture, trying to figure out where a baby snake might have gone. After an hour of fruitless searching, cursing myself, and thinking I would never see Aneira again, I slumped on my bed and tried not to cry. But my boyfriend, bless his stubborn heart and his ability to think like a snake, refused to give up. He kept searching and searching . . . and finally found her!!! She had managed to get out of her box, crawl off the bookshelf, across the office, under the door, across the hallway (avoiding the 3 cats and 4 dogs!), under the door into the guest room, under the closet door, and buried herself in the wrapping paper in the far back corner of the closet!!! What a journey! And what an amazing bf, who refused to give up the search until he found her! So, now all the snake boxes have multiple bungee cords strapping the lids on so that they can't push their way out. It may take longer to get into them ~LOL~ but at least none will pull the same stunt Aneira did!

Sooo, those are some ramblings and adventures from snakeland here in Salem, Oregon. I am waiting for my rats to give birth for the first time and dreaming about lavender bloodreds ~LOL~ :wavey:

Back