• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Thoughts on bedding material plz

buckmaster299

I'm looking to change away from aspen bedding and am thinking about goint to either Zoo Med forest Floor Bedding or Plantation soil. Thoughs everyone? I even thought about using crushed coconut bark but i am not sure if this will suffice for my corn snake...

From the husbandry faq...
Most recommend aspen, as do I. It is cheap, totally safe, and easy to find. Other perfectly acceptable forms of substrate include but are not limited to Reptibark, newspaper, newsprint, paper towels, Eco-earth (or similar substrates like bed-a-beast) and cypress mulch. You should not use cedar, pine, sand, gravel, or astroturf. Cedar and pine are toxic to small animals and the others are either irritating to the snake or harbor bacteria and are very difficult to clean.
I hear pretty good things about Eco Earth, which I believe is mostly a coconut fiber... Also see/hear a bit of Cypress mulch. If you're feeling adventurous, you should look into a bio active substrate setup. There's a great thread on these forums http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53051 that covers the general why and how of it, also recommended reading The Art of Keeping Snakes for further information.

Not sure why you want to change but would recommend newspaper (we use unprinted newspaper) over your other alternatives. The barks and coconut fibers can get between the belly scales of some snakes and cause damage and/or irritation to the ventral surface.

You also might want to check this out regarding keeping corn snakes in GA: http://www.georgiawildlife.com/NativeWildlifeLaws

I use repti bark. I think it looks more natural looking. Just dont get any store brand stuff if you buy from a chain pet store because its will have quite a bit of dust

I have been using eco-earth for Rose Red thus far and she has been doing good on it. Can burrow tunnels easily enough, but doesn't stay under 24/7 (like she does with aspen for some reason).

Other options include, as Buzzard mentioned, newspaper, paper towels, and "shop towels". I would have mentioned them earlier, but assumed the change was for aesthetic reasons, since other than allergies/asthma there's not much other reason to change away from aspen.

Yea, I am looking for something more aesthetically appealing. I want to do a bio active substrate setup because of how natrual it will be, but i'll have to get everything together first. Thanks for the information everyone. :)

so according to that website, no matter if i move Tennessee to Georgia with a corn snake it is prohibited.. that is slightly messed up. o well. guess i'll be living somewhere other than Georgia... LOL I knew there was a reason I hated Georgia other than their stupid taxes...

Last edited:
Lots of folk in the gecko world love Eco- Earth for bioactive substrates; do a search over on the Pangea reptile forum for threads on bio substrates.

I looked at that list of prohibited reptiles from Georgia; they are some kind of nuts over there, prohibiting keeping of even captive bred animals that aren't endangered!

Back