• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Time for a vet visit?

I've had my new corn for about 4 weeks now, i got her from a local pet store, the employees told me which snakes were eating and pretty healthy and which ones weren't. the one i decided to choose look in pretty good shape flicker her tongue and seemed like a healthy normal corn should. the pet store told me when the next feeding day was which was about two days later.

so i feed her two days later, she ate fine and i put back in the viv and she hides like normal. but she wouldn't go to the warm side of the (which stays regulated around 79*-83*F). three days later she regurged the pinkie. i wait a week offer another pinkie she eats it, this time she moves to the warm side and keeps it down and she keeps down the next feeding to. while i feed her four days ago and everything seemed normal, but when i woke up this lovely easter morning she had a nice little regurgitated pinkie mouse in her water dish.

any suggestions? should i start looking for a vet or should i wait a while to feed her next time and see how this pans out.

A Corn's digestion takes around 10 days to recover from a regurge, so my suggestion is to leave her for 10 days before offering the next meal. Also, leave her in peace and keep handling to a minimum - it's possible that she's still settling in and getting used to the smells and sounds of her new home.

At least she's keen to eat, so you're ahead of the game on that score and it doesn't seem that you need to employ any of the usual tricks to get her to take food in the first place.

I'm usually the first to advocate seeing a vet, but I'm not sure a vet would be able to help - at this stage the advice would probably be to leave longer after regurging, before offering the next meal. Also by carrying your Corn around, you might disturb her some more.

You might see if either the store or your local vet surgery has a reptile supplement that you could put in her water, to give her a boost on the meantime. Here in the UK we have things like Critical Care Formula and Reptoboost.

thanks a bunch. I'll look in to finding some supplements, and also i picked up kathy love's guide to cornsnakes. could anyone recommend any other books mostly concerning behavior issues and health?

Maybe you should get some Nutribac for her (from Kathy Love's site). It's probiotics which you can put in her drinking water or on the tail end of a pinky she's eating. It will help her re-establish her gut flora. I'd also go on a strict ten-day regurgitation protocol now. And then offer a smaller than normal prey.

Nanci

You can probably just find a really small one. They seem to vary in size a lot. I'm lucky- my snake store just lets me pick through their frozen pinks to get the sizes I want.

Nanci

Since she has regurged twice, it wouldn't hurt to go with half a small pink for a couple meals - don't want another regurge. My regurge protocol is posted on one of the FAQ sections on this forum - check it out and follow it for a month or more.

Good luck!

alright so week two is over and it looks like she has held this last meal down. i found a smaller than normal pinkie and she took it with no problem, hopefully we can continue with good progress. thanks for all the advice! :cheers:

Back