• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tired of mice, going to gerbils as feeders?

sdmessmer

I'm thinking of feeding off all my mice and going to gerbils until my snakes are big enough to go to rat pups. I did a search and found that gerbil pinks are a good size for hatchlings. I understand I will probably be housing them in pairs, but at least I will not have to deal with stinky mice!

Once the snakes are big enough how hard would it be to switch them from gerbils to rats?

Any tips on setting up gerbils for breeding?

Silvia

Gerbils do not have near as many pups to a litter as mice/rats do...

Also, some snakes may be harder to switch over to mice then others...depends on the individual.

no gerbils smell pretty, i leave my gerbil vivs for atlest a month with out changing them and they still don't smell.

I can't speak to the nutrition side. But having bred both mice and gerbils I can tell you that the gerbils are much more difficult. As was stated above gerbils have smaller litters, they are also much more prone to cannibalism, and are very sporadic breeders. I at one point almost lost a very large contract because my gerbils went on a breeding strike. I went 3 months with out a single litter, and I had over 100 colonies at the time. That was an exception cause they all stopped breeding but on the average I would only get litters from 1/4 to 1/5 of my colonies each month.

~Jeff C.

magick-bears said:
I at one point almost lost a very large contract because my gerbils went on a breeding strike.
Gerbils have a union? :sidestep:

regards,
jazz

Reactions: cka
Back