• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

To probe or not to probe

Kitty

You rang?
I've read somewhere that you can check sex by "popping" the babies only up until the little guys develop the muscle control to prevent it (a matter of days, if I remember correctly).

Since probing is the preferred way for most experienced handlers, I was wondering. Is there a lower limit to age when probing? For you experienced folk who probe, what's the youngest age at which you'll probe babies?

... learning as much as I can ...

I used to probe EVERY SINGLE BABY for the first several years I bred them (thousands!!), until I learned about popping. It was quite time consuming to probe all of those babies! Then I started popping them, and still probed every female for a long time. Once I was sure I had it down, I started always popping, up to around 16, sometimes 18" or so. Now I rarely probe babies or youngsters less than 16" or so, unless popping a particular baby is really ambiguous, which is very rare.

So, my friend who is fairly knowledable with snakes was over the other day and "popped" my snake, who is about 20" long, 45g. I was told the snake was a male when I purchased it, yet my friend is now convinced that it's female, since nothing "popped" out. But, I vaguely remembered reading that popping wasn't always accurate once over 18" or so...so, I take it I should ignore my friends words, and maybe get the little guy (gal?) probed once it puts on a bit more weight?

It might take quite a bit of pressure to pop a larger snake. I am sure it can be done, but I don't feel comfortable using that much pressure. I would suggest probing it again if you are not sure. I always re-sex my snakes by probing when I move them up to a bigger cage, because sexing is not 100% accurate. I occasionally find a mis-sexed yearling when I recheck them.

Try missexed two - three year olds... :bang:

I had a "female" Snow Motley turn out to be male...I'm not complaining however, I can fit him into many different projects. The Anery/Charcoal turning male did put a damper on a few of my projects...

Hehe... mis-sexing led to me having 3 adults instead of 2... and umm.. I NEEDED the 4th one.. no idea why yet, but I'll come up with something!

My question about popping and probing is: There is no one around to teach me ~,~ Is popping safe for an amateur to do? I'm very gentle with the snakes and would never want to hurt them ~,~ As for probing, is there an instructional video somewhere? For those of us who live in the middle of nowhere and have no way to get to an instructor ~,~ Wish all my veterinary experience had some relation to snakes, jugular lines I can do, spays I can do... snake stuff... nope ~,~

Yesterday i got my snake sexed, SHE is 8 or 9 months old. It was done by probing. I watched and its not something i'd like to 'have a go at'. If done incorrectly or inaccuratly you could hurt/damage your snake.
If i was you, i wouldn't try it, is there no vet to do it? I used the guy who owns the petshop i bought the snakes from, but only because of his experience.

Nope, the vets here have no herp training and most are scared of snakes... and the pet store.. well.. its run by 2 18 year olds that are trying to sell a 13 year old albino black rat as a 6 month old amel corn LOL (I phoned the lady they got him from.. albino black rat.. good call folks =) ) The SPCA and the Humane Society send people with snakes to me, and I know nothing really ~,~

I know it looks disconcerting, thats why I was wondering about an instructional video of some sort =)

I have developed a pretty good knack for visually sexing snakes by their tail but I always pop hatchlings after their 1st shed and then again 2 weeks later for any that popped female just to be sure. If a snake has popped 'male' then there's no doubt but if it shows you nothing then it's not a guarantee of anything. I get them mostly right on the first pop but I like to re-pop to be sure. I don't pop before the first shed as they seem to have some kind of odd membrane over their vent (the skin that comes off with the first shed) and it just doesn't give a good result I feel.

Any of my keeper females I like to probe at about 6-9 months to confirm they are what they initially showed....which reminds me....my stripe female has a rather long tail...hmmmm, better get the probe out!

Gintha -
Depending upon where you are in Atlantic Canada there are several large breeders in each of the provinces who would likely be able to assist you in learning to pop or probe. I suggest you post a request on the ReptilesCanada forum - you may have a bit of a drive, but it will be worth it to learn these skills. Probing is the most valuable skill - I probe every snake I intend to buy now - saves a lot of errors!!

mary v.

How does one go about "poping" or "probing"? Being a newbit, I wouldnt never attempt it myself, but I cant get the visual of the procedure! By poping, are we talking about squeezing near the vent hole?

Popping is applying pressure to the lower surface of the tail, from a point about 1.5 inches behind the vent, toward the vent. This will evert the hemipenes in a young male snake - most of the time - some can exert quite a bit of control and not evert. The Cornsnake Manual (or newer edition - new name) by Kathy Love has some good photos of the procedure. It is a fairly reliable method of sexing young corns - those under about 3-4 months of age.

mary v.

My problem with that is.. I can't drive ~,~ Well I CAN drive.. but I occasionally, suddenly, faint or go into spasms and quit breathing :cry: No idea why. ~,~ Makes learning things like this very hard. Maybe I'll ask Caroline if she could show me when I go to pick up my girls. I plan to just use popping / tail methods for babies. But would like to know how to probe if I ever need to.

this thread has explained how poping works can someone explain how to probe...i dont plan on trying it but i am curious to see how it works

Back