• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

to use a heat rock or not

Renosgirl

I have heard some bad things about using heat rocks. I would like to hear everyones opinions on them. I just recently got one in a package deal and I am a little worried to use it. If it matters it a Zoo Meds Repticare® Rock.

NO. Don't do it. Use an uth. Heat rocks get WAY too hot, even if on a dimmer, and snakes literally cook themselves to death. They can't sense heat very well from underneath, so they don't realize they're burning themselves. Use the one you got as an educational tool as to why not to use them, that's what we do with ours.

I already have a uth so thats not a problem. If I keep hearing these horror stories I think I may just cut the cord and use it as a rock

I was never really going to ever use it. I like UTHers but I was just wondering if I was just getting a one sided story about heat rocks...I guess not

You just just cut the cord completely, then put some electrician's tape over it so that the snake does not damage itself, then you can use the rock as a decoration!

good call not using it. i volunteered for a vet for years and i can tell you horror stories about heat rocks. use it as a decoration but make sure u cover the exposed heat cables on the bottom. (not sure if they are exposed on yours but they are on the ones i have seen.)

Really. They should be removed from the stores. I used one once when I was younger with one of my Pythons. It burned the hell out of him. I just recently got back into keeping snakes and would never use one again.

Back