• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tolerance Question

BigByrd47119

Hello everyone,

I was recently inspired by Knoxs' own 3 tub display rack, and my own lack of space, to make one of my own. Well I haven't actually "started" yet, but I am getting my ducks in a row as it were.

Here is where you kind folks come in!

This will be my first rack. I have no idea what kind of tolerances we are talking about here. Of the three tubs I have, two are one height and the other is 1/8th off of the others. Is this too big of a gap to trust an adult corn with? Since there will not be any babies so I am not too concerned, but I value feedback from the members of this board.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I wouldn't think an adult could slip through an 1/8 in gap, but you never know. It really is amazing what they can get through. I have one tub a little short and I just have a piece of cardboard under the tub which lifts it enough to fill that gap. I think other people use wooden clothes pins that they separate and wedge each piece of wood under the tub to tighten it up too.

You'd be okay with 1/8" gap if the tub isn't too bendy. Tubs that are too flexible will encourage snakes to escape if they feel a little give by the gap. I use the sterilite 28 and 41 quarts with that much gap and have never had a problem from corns that were at least 3 years old.

Thanks for the replies, I was starting to think there wouldn't be an answer :laugh:.

Yea the bendy nature of the sides makes me wonder. I could use the lids I suppose. Nothing has been cut (or even bought for that matter) yet so there is no reason I cant remeasure for the lids. I also liked the idea of putting something under the tub to raise it a bit. It is one of those things that should be obvious but to which I stay oblivious.

Thanks again!

The gap really isnt the problem, my breeders have a 1-3 year old tessera who has learned to bump his tub out enough to escape, so you need to make sure it is secure, other than that the gap should be no problem

Back