• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Too young?

collard_ghost

My cousin is about 8 yrs old and is considering getting a corn snake. His parents don't have a clue about care for reptiles so they would be of no help to him. Has anybody encoutered a situation like thie, whether in their own family or another, where a young person has solely taken care of a reptile and whether you think they did a good job? If not, do you think that people of his age are too young and won't/don't understand the magnitude of owning any reptile and the care that they need?

Thank You

FYI, i have already told him that i beleive he is too young and have told his parents the same, was i right or wrong?

i got my first snake when i was about 4 or 5, we started to breed some years after that, it was one of the best things in my life to become exposed to snakes at such a young age. ***But i will tell you that most of the caring for the animals were done by my parents, children at a young age are not responsible for themselves really let alone an animal. if the parents are willing to learn and help the child to care for it then i think it would a great idea.

Unless he's a very mature 8 year old, you can't expect them to care for the animal on his own. With some supervision (by you perhaps) he could do it. Snakes don't require the constant daily care that a dog or cat does, so you could probably help him long distance like I did with one of my riding students. His grandparents helped, but they didn't know too much. I gave them help and made sure that the snake was staying healthy.

I think its great for young children to be exposed to snakes. My 8yo daughter got her 1st snake when she was 6 but she is not the primary caretaker. She does know a lot about snakes and how to care for them but I dont think she is ready to maintain all the aspects of care on her own. She can feed them and handles them well but forgets about securing the cages, cleaning poop, making sure they all have water...As she gets older she takes on more responsibility but I am still there to help and make sure everything is done. I think an 8yo without prior experience and with no parent or other who is willing to help is too young.

My oldest child is eight and I have to remind her to brush her teeth sometimes . I couldn't imagine her caring for a snake all on her own. An adult would have to be involved just to get food for the snake. So why not help him with the rest of it. Could you keep it for him for a while letting him come over and help till he's old enough to care for it himself?

Reactions: cka
Ok my 2 cents. Any kid and 8 years old is a kid. Does not have the maturity to take care of any animal without the help of a Parent. As all the people above has point out and me included. Take care of there kids reptiles. If his or her parents let the child get a reptile please be ready to take it or find it a good home when it is no longer taken care of. Sorry for the grip. Just some parents make me mad.

All kids are different...my best friend's son is 9 and i think he definately could care for one on his own, whereas my almost 9 daughter can't even keep her cat's food dish full.

Jason had a good idea, let him keep one with you if possible and see how he does when he come's over...try getting him a corn snake book and sit down with him with it...he may be too young now, but no harm in keeping his interest about them til he is :*)

His parents will not be taking care of the snake, i know that. They bought a turtle about 1 1/2 yrs ago for my cousin and towards the end it was my uncle who was taking care of it so he asked me if i wanted it or else he'd just dump it in the creek out back (and knowing that it's a red-eared and i live in canada, it wouldn't last too long come winter) so i took it for 2 months and found a good hoe for it. I wouldn't have much time to help him out unless just sending him info by the net becuase i have my 3 reps, my cat, a job and school and i live alone.

Thanks for everyone's comments, i agree with what people said in general... he's too young to do research himself and therefore too young for reptiles because he'll have sole responsibilty over it.

Fatman, at what age is one considered a kid...? :D

A friend of my Mom's came round not so long ago with her two young sons, 9 and 5 (I think). The 9 year old had like snakes for ages apparently, and was very taken with my pair. Unfortunately it was "can you get the snake out?" every ten minutes, I'm not very good with little children so found it difficult to explain to him that it is too stressful for them to be out so often. Well, their Mother ended up buying him a snake while on their visit and taking it home with them.... Without alot of knowledge on them too, I told her all I could and lent her a couple of books. But the 9 year old DEFINITELY isn't able to take care of a snake on his own, I'm hoping that his parents are helping him alot.
To cap it all off, NO collard ghost.... LOL

you let a 9 yr old buy a snake from you and you think he didn't know what he was doing? and you don't think the parenst knew either?

No offence but if that's the case, that's one of the major problems... Pet stores are top greedy and will sell anything to anyone without giving them proper information and without caring for the life of the animal being sold. in an ideal situation, any person wanting to buy an animal would have to get it registered and would have to follow a 25 hr course about that particular animal. this would prevent a bunch of idiots that know nothing from un-knowingly torturing innocent creatures.... this would be an ideal situation *SIGH*

collard_ghost said:
in an ideal situation, any person wanting to buy an animal would have to get it registered and would have to follow a 25 hr course about that particular animal. this would prevent a bunch of idiots that know nothing from un-knowingly torturing innocent creatures.... this would be an ideal situation *SIGH*
wow and everyone was concerned about liberty in the "can you believe this thread". Watch out you gun lovers , folks will be wanting you to register your guns next. :rolleyes:

Forgot this. do you think with all the corn snakes sold ( I'm quessing tens of thousands each year) every breeder or merchant could check out each potential owners corn snake keeping credentials before selling to them? :)

To jump back to the initial question, I have a 9yr old sister that is very bright, and a little more mature for her age. If she was taught how to properly take care of a corn snake, she would do fine(with little to no help).

It all depends on the kiddo...and the parents. The kids need to be taught on how to take care of it, and so do the parents. I say that if they both are not proficient in knowledge of husbandry....I would not risk it.

Daniel

Last edited:
Back