• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Transporting a Baby Corn

Ntkufreak

Still Snakeless
Hey guys, figured this would be the best place to ask. I'm getting two baby corns from Dorgrim's clutch once they hatch and have had their first meal and shed. I can hardly wait for them to start pipping!

I'm keeping one of the hatchlings for myself, and the other is going to a friend who's living in Ann Arbor, MI, but moving to Rochester, NY for grad school. I'm in Baltimore and a good 6 hour drive away from Rochester. We don't see any purpose in having the snake shipped to Ann Arbor for only a month or so. That leaves what to do once my friend is settled in Rochester and ready to receive the snake.

The first option is for it to be driven -- either my friend comes and picks it up, we meet halfway, etc. It would be about 6-7 hours in the car, and my friend would stop as little or as often as needed in the snake's best interest. The other option is to have it mailed - I was looking at Delta Dash, though I'm not sure if there are other shipping companies you'd recommend for same-day shipping?

Money is also a concern of ours, though of course the primary concern is the baby corn. We're also not sure if driving it would necessarily save any money at all, when considering the cost of gas. I should note that she's living in an apartment, which could provide a complication with shipping - but whatever day I'd ship the hatchling, she'd be sure to be waiting, and so forth.

What would you folks recommend doing, or is there a third option we haven't considered -- other than me keeping the hatchling for myself and having two beautiful babies instead :D Tempting though that is!

Driving is OK. You can't leave a snake in the car when you park it & lock it (cars get really hot in the summer & really cold in the winter) but if the temperature is reasonable for a driver it should be OK for transporting a corn snake.

Driving it yourself shouldn't be a very big deal as long as the temperature isn't too hot. I've moved across country with reptiles before with no problems...that being said my animals were older and established. But if you think about it, baby corn snakes are shipped every day in the pet industry and they do just fine. Corn snakes are pretty forgiving in most cases. Just don't let him bake in the car ;)

You mentioned Delta Dash, which is perfectly fine. FedEx is also a safe option. That said, if driving the baby yourself is a possibility that's what I'd choose. That way you'll minimize the transit time, and you'll have no questions or worries about just what happened while the baby was en route. With commercial shippers, there is always a bit of a worry (at least for me) until they're actually unpacked and settled in. The baby will likely spend longer in a box if it's shipped commercially also. I've never personally had a problem with snakes being shipped, but I'd rather drive them where they're going if it's feasible.

Either method works (haven't thought of a 3rd) but I would definitely choose shipping in your circumstance. 7hrs of driving is pretty expensive when you consider gas, time, wear and tear, safety risks, etc.

You might check out http://www.edmunds.com/. Click on "ture cost to own" (top center). That will show how much it all costs per mile. This doesn't mean that an extra mile costs that much, but you get the idea.

But don't you have to be licensed to ship live reptiles? :shrugs:

Perhaps you can get in touch with a local dealer with shipping experience who may ship for you for a fee.

But don't you have to be licensed to ship live reptiles? :shrugs:

Perhaps you can get in touch with a local dealer with shipping experience who may ship for you for a fee.

You have to be certified by FedEx to use them. I dunno about Delta Dash. SYR is no longer an option.

Back