• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Transporting Snakes & Rack Systems

CraziiTii

Tyrannosaurus
Hello fellow CS.cominoids! As some of you already know, I am moving back home to Chicago. It's a 14 hour drive from Dallas to there, and I am bringing my little demons back with me. However, I would like some opinions on the best and safest way to transport them. My car is a two seater, so my plan was to put my (6) yearlings in large deli cups, and put them in a file box [like the kind you can fold together from Office Max.] My adult corn will be quite happy in a pillow case. I also have the GTP, and I was planning on keeping her on the passenger seat in her tub. I'm afraid she'll get too hot or too dry if I put her in a deli cup for that amount of time. I'm going to cover everyone with towels so the sun doesn't get to them. I'm also concerned about having a heat source. I can easily plug in UTH's with an adapter, but is it neccecary when the inside of a car can get so hot?

PART TWO:
I'm not bringing the tanks home with me, but would rather purchase a rack system. I've always spoiled my snakes with the tanks, so I don't know much about racks. Would anyone be willing to explain a little more about them to me, and maybe suggest the best place to get them? All I need is something that holds at least 7 adults [the yearlings are growing quickly.]

Thanks, everyone!

Heat is going to be the killer. You will not need any additional heat. Go to extreme lengths to avoid getting them too hot. Just a few minutes in the sun will do it.

Boaphile..

yep. i cant wait to get a rack from jeff ronne. his products are so good. i have a 123d and im gonna be getting a 4 footer to attach to it also.

and i think others answered your heat question. when i moved my animals this summer i just kept he car around high 70s maybe 80s sometimes. and they were the first things i did at the new house. set them up and get them all moved in.

Honestly, like som'one else suggested...pillowcases or snake bags are going to be way easier to deal with in a cramped car than tubs...they will also be less stressful on the snake IMO since they can feel snug in a dark place....perhaps put all the bags in a large tub so they don't get crushed...and leave the lid off as much as possible...

thats how I'd do it anyway. :)

whats your budget on a rack system?

Heat is going to be the killer. You will not need any additional heat. Go to extreme lengths to avoid getting them too hot. Just a few minutes in the sun will do it.

Ditto, I would box em up just as if you were shipping them. place cold packs in boxes. It is far better to keep them a bit on the cool side, then to expose them to high temps even for a very short time. Sun coming through a window and onto a deli cup or sweater box is quickly a killer.
Also don't forget to stop feeding them so they are empty for the journey.
Good luck with your move!
BTW, a large cooler will easily hold all your snakes and prevent rapid changes in temps. I use one each time I lug my snakes to and from shows.

Tii,
I recommend going with Animal Plastics, since you are moving you will want good racks at a lower cost. I recommend them. Heck, they will make the large size, or deeper tub ones for your arboreal snakes. Nancy has a few of those, I have one and love it. i recommend the economy racks from them.

Back