• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Travel Concerns...

bobknaptor

Divalicious Member
OK, last question for this morning, I promise!

I am moving to Phoenix in 2 months, and planning to drive down. I am planning to keep my pets in the car with me (kitties in their travel boxes, of course).

Would you say it is a better idea to put my snakes in the small plastic shoe-boxes for the move, or leave them in their normal terrariums?

The drive from Seattle to Phoenix is 1500 miles, and will take us 2 days to make the trip, so another concern I have is with heat. I will not be able to plug in their normal heat sources in the car. Has anyone else taken a long car trip like this with their snakes? what suggestions do you have for keeping them warm without letting them cook in the sunlight when you have no electrical outlets?

I'm just trying to plan in advance in case I need to buy any special equipment for the trip. What do the experts in this forum say?

First off, hello, neighbor!

Second, I occasionally take my snakes with me on weekend trips, and usually keep them in shoeboxes with an old t-shirt or towel for them to hide in. For heat, I use travel heat packs, taped to the side of the shoebox. To keep them cool, I found using an icepack wrapped in a towel and taped to the side of the shoebox works great!

As for water, when we stop, I take along those plastic things you would put under plants to keep them from dumping water all over-and just put some water in there for them to drink.

Corn snakes are resilient to quite alot-try taking a rainbow boa on a day trip.. it was 90 degrees here, so I put him in a moist bag in a styrofoam cooler with holes in it and had an icepack wrapped in a towel taped to the side of the cooler.

-cat

I don't think you need to have a heat sorce on the way. Corn snakes can hibernate (forgive my spelling) but I doubt he will have to even hibernate.

I think if you keep the car around 70 degrees? you shouldn't need any additional heat. You shouldn't feed them before going on a trip anyway, even if you did have extra heat, so that shouldn't be a problem. If you do want extra heat, see if you can find those heat packs people use for shipping. They come in 40 hour length which would be good. I think you can find them at a sporting-goods store?

Thanks everybody! That's very helpful. I appreciate the feedback!

Cat, hello to you too! are you in Seattle also? or will you be my neighbor in Phoenix?

I will be your neighbor once you get here, though! Oddly enough, Cat is my friend already. :)

I completely agree that you will not need heat packs. I'd be more concerned with making sure you have ice packs. Once you get down here you will be happy (maybe) to learn that you really don't even need UTHs for most of the year. I haven't had to turn one of mine on since... March? Seriously.

Melissa (in Tempe)

Yep, I was at the last one in April. It was pretty small, but I really enjoyed it because Kathy Love was there and did a little slideshow presentation which was really interesting. I'm sure I'll be there this year as well, but it's nothing huge.

Back