• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Traveling with Pinkies?

Corny_in_La

Hi. I'm not sure if this is where this question goes, and if it doesn't go here, please let me know...

Anyways, I'm going to Repticon next weekend (the 23-24)and was hoping to be able to stock up on some feeders. I only have one snake now, but plan on having several within the next few months. I may even end up with one or two more by the time I come home from the show. Gotta love petco's tank sale!

Back to the question... the show is a little over an hour away from where I live, and may be closer to an hour and a half if one of my friends comes with me. Is there any way I'll be able to keep them frozen for that long? My husband told me I can use his lunch box that day, and to put some ice, but I'm just nervous. Will this work? Should I just suck it up and order some Monday morning?

I have already threw away almost a whole box from PetSmart because they were thawed out by the time I got home (a half hour drive), and I didn't know if they could be re-frozen. I started going buy one at a time on feeding day. Even though I put them in a cup of ice water on the way, they still thaw by the time I'm home, and when I warm them up they get dark in the tummy area. This has me really worried, and I want to get away from using these. Or do they all do that?

Thanks!
Michelle

Bring a small cooler, with an ice pack, purchase your pinkies and ask them to hold them until your ready to go(you dont want him/her to sell out, so get them first), when your ready to go ask him/her to see if they have a little bit of dry ice to go in your cooler. You should be fine with a couple of ice packs but the dry ice would be even more awesome..... Have fun at the show

Is refreezing really such a bad thing? I would assume the same rules apply to the mouse as they would for human food? Bacteria wouldn't really grow for a couple of hours at room temp. Is this incorrect? When I first fed my snake I was not sure how long it had been since he'd eaten so I just gave him 3 pinkies. He ate 2, I refroze the 3rd. He had no problem eating that one next time around!

I think most people use the same rule as human food.. I think it's like after 4 hours total thawed out, and it should be thrown away. Generally if a mouse isn't eaten I will throw it away or feed it to someone else (mindful of quarantining new snakes).

Today I actually faced a similar problem, my car is broken so I had to get a ride to the reptile store to buy some more mice. I knew I'd be out for a couple hours and it's in the upper 80's so I took 2 ice packs and a towel with me. I got about 50 mice from pinkies to adults in a bag, wrapped it up with the ice packs in the towel (a thick bath towel), and put it in a plastic bag. When I got home they were still frozen solid, not even a tiny bit thawed! I think if you had a cooler or insulated lunch bag with ice/dry ice you'd have absolutely no problems. :)

I'd bring a cooler, ice packs, have the vendor hold them till you're ready to leave, and wrap them in newspaper if the vendor doesn't.

Thanks, Buzzard. That's what dh suggested, but I didn't know for sure if it'd work. We never thought about dry ice, either. Side note, I have a special spot waiting for the possible baby you mentioned. If you still have the other ones for sale, I may even end up getting some sooner than I thought I'd be able to if it's ok with you.

Restes, i'm not sure about re-freezing. It probable would be ok, but around here, we don't re-freeze anything. It either gets eaten or thrown (which isn't much). If they wouldn't have looked so close to going bad (getting dark) I may have chanced it, or maybe if I wasn't so new to snakes, it wouldn't bother me. I guess I'm just a little too paranoid just yet.

Michelle

No problem, I still have a set of those aneries. Just pm me when your ready. Might even be able to make it to the LA repticon show, not sure yet.

Yep, you'll be fine if you bring a cooler. You don't even need ice... I buy my mice from someone three hours away and just throw the frozens in the cooler and they're still frozen when I get home :)

Hey, I'm going to a show this weekend and these suggestions will come in quite handy! Thanks!

Back