• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

travelling snake

randj

Hi Everyone, I am driving down to pick up my new adult corn snake from a rescue facility next week. It is a 5 hr drive home. I plan to take a plastic tub (that will also be his/her feeding tub) lined with unprinted newspaper with a temp probe taped into place, and will cover the tub lid with a towel to keep things dark and as quiet as possible. I have also seen mentioned on this forum placing them in a pillowcase but am not exactly sure how this works and if I should put him in the pillowcase in the tub or if just in the tub will work. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to make this trip the least stressful possible for my new snake. Thanks for your thoughts!

You don't need both, either would work fine for an adult.
You won't really a temp probe for the drive, as I image you will keep temps inside the car comfortable to you. Just don't put the snake directly on or under the heat vent, you don't want to overheat him/her.

I put mine inside a pillowcase and inside a feeding tub - I know for sure that the feeding tub is escape-proof! I've had a couple of trips where the snake has managed to work the tie loose on the pillowcase. I also put an old towel on the floor of the tub and then a towel over the pillowcase, to stop them rattling around. If you put the snake just into the feeding tank, it will have nowhere to hide (it'll be super-nervous) and won't be able to stop itself slipping about inside the tank. If the weather is hot/cold, then I put the feeding tub into an insulated picnic carrier to keep the temp as stable as possible and insulate it from sudden dips.

As nwheather said, the temp in the car should be fine for the snake if it's comfy for you. In fact the biggest potential risk is overheating. Make sure the tank isn't in the direct line from th car's heating vents.

I double up, too. In a pillow case, with crumpled paper towels, with a knot in the neck of the pillow case, pretty tight, with not a lot of room to move around. Inside a tub. And poke the corners of the pillow case from the inside, first, just to be sure they aren't coming unstitched.

Ok, sounds good. I think I'll do both and good point about checking the corners! Thanks everyone!

Back