• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Travelling

Snakes&Scapulars

I own a corn snake and tomorrow I am going on a 9 hour car trip. I want to bring my snake. Any way that I can make him/her more comfortable????? Yesterday I as trying to find out how (when I was supposed to be helping rake the yard which started a fight with my sibling :argue:) but there wasn't anything helpful. Any ideas:idea:? Thanks in advance!

Well, if you take your snake, you will have to take all his stuff- his viv, UTH, thermostat, food, etc. How long do you plan to be gone for? You would have to protect the snake from heat and cold- which would mean not leaving him in the car if you are up north. Is he a baby, or an adult? An adult could travel comfortably in a pillowcase, tied shut, (check the corners to make sure there isn't the tiniest hole) and then you would put the pillowcase in either a cooler or his feeding bin if it is large enough, to protect him from accidental crushing. A baby I would put in a deli cup or his feeding container, with crushed paper towels, with the deli cup taped shut, and then put that in a box of crumpled newspaper to prevent jostling. Then put the snake in a cool place in the car, not on the floor, not where sun will shine on him, not where heat will blow on him. Obviously not in the trunk or anywhere that isn't heated.

The thing is we may be moving soon so I need to do a test drive. I know I have to take all of his stuff. He is kind of a baby but bigger than a hatchling. Thank you soooooo much! I am down south and we are going to a beach... no need to worry about col :). I don't leave the car on stops a lot so he would be in my lap the whole time. Could I put him in an inside pocket of my coat?

If you're going to be gone a week or less, I'd leave the baby at home. Long trips are obviously possible - they get shipped around from breeders to buyers - but they're always stressful for the snake. You can't explain to him what's going on, and he doesn't understand.

If and when you move, do all the things wise Nanci said. For a "test drive," although the idea of taking your beloved pet along is fun, snakes aren't dogs and don't adore travelling. It's kinder to leave him in his happy home.

Kudos to you for asking first!

Speaking as the owner of a pigeon who was in a soft traveling container and narrowly missed being sat on in a restaurant- I believe small animals belong in some sort of protective hard container.

Back