• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tub vs Tank

ken347

Corn Addict In Training
Alright i really havent been on this site nor have i posted in a long time so lets just say my snake is doing great ive had him in a 55 gallon tank but now im realizing that with the new furniture im getting for my room the tank is just too big so i was wondering what is better a plastic tub or a tank for corn snakes? pros and cons? and mine is a adult so what would be the recommended size for a tub? all answers are appreciated thank you

Snakes generally prefer seclusion as opposed to open display aquariums, having a lot to look at will stress them out. You could use a 41 quart tub for an adult corn and be alright. But still provide hides and make sure to create air holes. :)

how big is the 41 qt i plan on setting it in a small little rack made for one tub just as a extra measure of security and to make it look a little better

36" by 18" Buy the tub before you make the rack. Some tubs' measurements are slightly different than others.

41 qt tub is a great size for adult corns, like Charlotte said. They're a touch under 36"x18", and 6" tall. 110 qt also works nicely--about the floorspace of a 41 qt, only much taller (can never remember exactly, somewhere between 14" and 18").

The biggest difference between a display enclosure and a tub is what YOU prefer. Many snakes actually do immensely prefer one over the other (ball pythons are infamous for doing terribly in display enclosures), but corns are usually hardy and confident and don't tend to care a great deal one way or the other. My Kisatchie girl seems to prefer her planted display tank over her old tub, BUT she has thrived in both settings.

If you would prefer to have a nice-looking display to house your corn, by all means, get a tank or a nice display enclosure! If it doesn't matter to you one way or the other, then go with whichever one fits your space best. :)

well i have him in a 55 gallon tank i always have but hes always been skiddish

ive only found one 41 quart and its like four inches high thats it the 32 quart seems like it would be alot better its wider and taller

For me it depends on the snake. My out going snakes that are happy sleeping out in the open are in display tanks and the rest are in tubs on shelves/racks. I have most of mine in a 66qt tubs which is about the same as a 20 gal long and then I do have a 90qt tub rack that I put the bigger snakes and mommy's in. The 90 qt is a little less floor space than the 55 gal long tank.

Tubs are much easier to clean and disinfect. Tanks are heavy, fragile, and expensive to replace. It's not too bad with one setup, but once you have multiple enclosures tubs seem more efficient.

Tubs are much easier to clean and disinfect. Tanks are heavy, fragile, and expensive to replace. It's not too bad with one setup, but once you have multiple enclosures tubs seem more efficient.

This is very true!! I was able to clean 15 tubs yesterday in the amount of time it took to clean 4 tanks. Granted they are big tanks but it was easy to just take everyone's tub outside while they were eating and scrub them down.

Drill vs. soldering (I think that's what it's called) gun to create air holes? I'm thinking that a drill bit could possibly create some sharp edges that could hurt a snake that tried to poke its head through, God forbid.

Many will melt the holes in their tubs. I actually prefer to drill but if you don't have the right bits then yes you can make sharp edges or you can crack the tub. I use a paddle bit so just the tip drill the hole and then the wider part scrapes it clean so there aren't any rough edges.

I use a soldering iron. I think it's just personal preference. Drill bits will melt the plastic some and can make some sloppy looking holes. The soldering iron is fast, just be sure you do it outside or in a ventilated area. It's probably not good to breathe plastic fumes.

I didn't even think of cracking the tub. That would suck.

Could I go to a place like Home Depot or Lowe's to get it done for me (soldering)? I don't think we have stuff like that at home.

(sorry to hijack the thread btw)

Or you can pick one up in the craft section at walmart. Or you are just use a nail and something to heat it with such a fire or stove top or something.

I'm curious what brand/style 32 quart you're looking at, because I own 4 (3 different styles/2 different brands) 28/32 quarts that are all approximately the same height and width as my 41 quarts, but a foot shorter in length.

Alright i really havent been on this site nor have i posted in a long time so lets just say my snake is doing great ive had him in a 55 gallon tank but now im realizing that with the new furniture im getting for my room the tank is just too big so i was wondering what is better a plastic tub or a tank for corn snakes? pros and cons? and mine is a adult so what would be the recommended size for a tub? all answers are appreciated thank you

I use a 32 quart bins for my smaller adults. Once they get past 4 feet I move them into 41 quart bin. Past five feet they they either get a 85 quart bin or wooden cage. None of this takes up to much space. I house 10 snakes in a 15 quart rack that can be changed to a 32 quart bins. For floor space it only takes up a [roughly] one foot wide by three feet long and four feet tall. I didn't have time to read the hole thing but I hope this helps!:cheers:

Back