• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tubs Done My Way: Pics Inside!

BigByrd47119

Let me start off by saying this is my one and only tub. I entirely plan on getting a set up just like this for my Milk Snake Marley as well. I am not a breeder and because of this my tubs are set up to be relatively appealing to the eye, or at least as much as they can be.

Picture one is of the tank under normal condition with the room lights on. I placed a log in the middle with a anchor in it and drilled a hole through the back of the tub. By doing so I can easily remove the log (which is completely secure) for cleaning.

Picture two is of the same tub with the light rope on and absolutely no other light source. They work pretty darn well!

Picture three is of the back of the tub where the lid and tub are mated by the zip-ties. You can only see 3 because of the angle but there are actually a total of 4 spread equally along the length of the tub.

Picture four is of the tub with the lid propped open using a paint-ball gun barrel (it was all I had handy).

Sorry for the picture quality.

Feel free to post questions!

Attachments

• Tank_With_Room_Light.jpg
    Tank_With_Room_Light.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 454
  • Light_Rope_Example.jpg
    Light_Rope_Example.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 453
  • Zip_Ties_From_Rear.jpg
    Zip_Ties_From_Rear.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 452
  • Tank_Lid_Open.jpg
    Tank_Lid_Open.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 453
this actually looks great! Nice set up I'm digging it! It does look very secure from the looks of it. How is it more breathable though? The top is plastic, even with some holes in the top you'd think it would have worse ventilation than a screen top on a glass tank. I may seriously look into this! Thanks again for the pics they were very helpful.

this actually looks great! Nice set up I'm digging it! It does look very secure from the looks of it. How is it more breathable though? The top is plastic, even with some holes in the top you'd think it would have worse ventilation than a screen top on a glass tank. I may seriously look into this! Thanks again for the pics they were very helpful.

Although not visible there are a good number (10?) on each side with 4 or 5 on top. I simply used a 3/4ths drill bit to make them. A hot glue gun (without the glue) cleaned up the holes nicely.

As far as ventilation goes, I simply drilled enough holes to get the humidity at the level I wanted. If there were too many holes (or in the case of a glass tank, a screen lid) there would be issues holding in the humidity. Right now it bounces between 50 and 60% without me misting it at all. When it comes time to shed I will either lightly mist or add a humid hide.

The truth is that 80% of your screen lid is simply allowing heat and humidity out by allowing too much ventilation. You don't want the air to be stagnant, but you don't need it to be wide open either.

Turned out very well! I love tubs much better than tanks - if for nothing else but the weight difference. They are so much cheaper as well.

Thanks for the pics.

I love this! I think next week I might try my hand at copy cating hehe...I looked today at the cost of some of the tubs and was shocked at how I find them to expensive to store my winter clothes in but find them perfectly priced for a viv lol

I love this! I think next week I might try my hand at copy cating hehe...I looked today at the cost of some of the tubs and was shocked at how I find them to expensive to store my winter clothes in but find them perfectly priced for a viv lol

I was thinking the same thing today :laugh01:

That's a good point. I spent around a total of:

• $12 for the tub
  • $6 for the Krylon
  • $40 for Zilla Temp Controller
  • $30 for the UTH (Zoo Med)
  • $6 on a bag of aspen
  • $2 for the log
  • $8 for the vines
  • $3 for the plastic dog bowl
  • $1 for each of the two plastic shoe box hides
  • $3 for the rope light

That's a total of $112! Some of these items have the tax included but the others I cant remember the exact total. And a lot of whats listed is optional.

The absolute best part in my opinion is the satisfaction that I did it, not someone else.

I have my python in a set up that was $40, my corn was more along the lines of $300 I'm sure I could have done Gingers tank cheaper but I liked the idea of being able to watch her...Now I'm about to switch her from her tank to a tub lol...yes I ended up using your design so yeah! Thanks!

Oh quick question, what size uth did you use for this?

Glad it helped! I covered a quarter of the bottom (if you picture the bottom cut into 4 squares) with zoomeds uth that is a step down from their largest (don't remember the exact size). Placing it in such a way as to allow the warm side hide to reside directly over it. Works fantastically since she rarely goes to the warm size except during digestion!

Back