• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Turning hides over? Also is Coconut safe as a hide?

Just curious, I'm still new to reptile keeping and with a snake I'm always worried if hes in the viv or got out somehow :p. Hes almost always in his hide but when I want to know for sure, or i want to handle him I turn over the hide and pick him up/ look at him. Will doing this make him feel less secure or not want to go there because its so easy to be found? I know if I was hiding in a little house and someone picked up the house to find me all the time I would try to find another spot to hide :p although maybe humans just have more common sense :p

Also I want to get a new hide and was thinking, if i cut a coconut in half and then cut a hole for an opening, could I use it as a hide? Assuming its big enough, is coconut dangerous to them? Also could open it drain the fluids and put it somewhere to dry, or should i clean out the coconut part? (Im not to sure how coconuts work/are eaten :p )

You can buy coconut type hides, but I wouldn't use one from a grocery store because of preservatives and pesticides.
As for stressing your snake how many times a day do you lift the hide to see if it's there?

You could use used food boxes like noodles boxes and such ( depends on size of snake) instead of buying a coconut and trying to cut it in half, cleaning it and so on. Also add more clips to the viv if you are concern of escapes. To help the snake from stress and fake vines and branches and use aspen bedding so the snake can burrow in it. This will make the snake life less stress free and healthier.

What you can also do is before you go in and flip over all the hides, just look through the openings in the hides. If you can see your snake, then you know he's in there and he can continue to sleep without gettnig stressed out.

sometimes i cant see inside the hides and because my viv is on the floor i have to go on all 4s. Also I do it probably like 1-2 times a day, and handle him one of those times. But would doing this off put him from staying in that hide?

I don't really think they care too much, 1-2 times a day sounds fine. If you're worried, just put some extra cover/hides in there, like some plastic plants (the ones at the dollar store are great and inexpensive, just make sure they are unscented), paper tubes (I find they like these better if you submerge them in the aspen a little), or any tiny boxes you come across (You can gently wad up some paper towel inside to make an open box more "secure"). This way even if they did get discouraged from being "found" they'd have plenty of other places to go.

Well I always find my snakes under one hide.Whether they just ate or are about to.What I'm trying to say is I don't think they care that about once or twice a day(except 2 days after eating) a big scary monster takes them out.
And by the way here is a link on how to make a coconut hide.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrrDqJFvcC4

You can buy hollow half-coconut shells at the pet store for about $3. All my snakes have these and love them because the entry hole is small and thus the hide is dark.

I made some myself but made sure to boil them for 30 minutes. But as said above, it's much easier and not that much more expensive to just buy them at the pet store.

I've used coconut bought from supermarket if you clean it out well in hot water and leave it to dry it will be fine to use.

Back