• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Two baby cornsnakes

chriszuk

I have two baby cornsnakes. One was given to me as a gift and I bought one in December. I keep them in separate tanks (10 gallon) but would like to take them to school. I have a 20 gallon tank in my classroom. Can I keep them together until they get a little older? (By then I will be able to afford buying another tank). On the weekend I plan to bring them home to place them back in their smaller tanks. One is a male- the other one I am not sure. When I bring them out - I have them together and they seem ok with each other. I feed them on different days.

I plan to lock them up in my classroom when leaving for the day.

While it may seem like a good idea,its not. I'm still fairly new to corn snakes,but from what I hear on here,its not ok to house them together because they can get stressed out. And trust me,you don't want a stressed out snake. That can lead to feeding issues.
And personally,I think bringing them back and forth might stress them out as well. Why do you want to keep them at school during the week anyway?

I have a friend that brings snakes to her classroom, and my middle school science teacher had pets in his classroom, but he didn't bring them home and back every weekend. If you want them in your classroom I suggest you leave them there and only bring them home on long weekends and breaks. I think however you might consider having one at school and one at home so no matter where you are you have a snakie with you :D

two baby cornsnakes

thanks for the reply

The reason I planned to take them home was the fact that the air & heat is off most of the weekend. I do have a heater if the room gets cold- but do not know how they will react to a very warm classroom.

thanks for the reply

The reason I planned to take them home was the fact that the air & heat is off most of the weekend. I do have a heater if the room gets cold- but do not know how they will react to a very warm classroom.

I plan to use these two as our classroom pets. I took one to school several weeks ago and was amaze how many students were first scared holding it, but once they did- they did not want to stop holding it.

That sounds like a very bad idea for a lot of reasons. The snakes might not take well to being transported every weekend. Unless the lid is locked there is always a possibility of someone messing with your snakes (when I think of the people I went to school with, I shudder at the thought), and also all the problems that might come with co-habitation (you can do a search, that topic has been done to death already).

If you still really want to do it, I second K.Rene's suggestion. One at school, one at home. At least that way you don't have to co-habitat.

As for the heat... bring a thermometer that records high/low to your class and check what the temps are like during the weekend. Mine has a reset button so you can see what is happening in the tank when you are not around. I would do this for a few weekends in a row to see what happens to the temp and ensure it does not skyrocket.
As long as the temp is not getting too high you should be able to keep your snake there for the school year... only transporting home for holidays when the school will be closed for a week or more.

:spinner: WARNING OPINION TO FOLLOW:

I also agree with only taking ONE snake for ONE tank!

PLUS you need to be able to keep the tank locked when you are not supervising the students!!!!!

I would only bring an adult snake that is known to be a good feeder and have easy sheds... I wouldn't want to stress a baby!

I don't think it would be bad to bring a smaller snake, although it would depend largely on the baby. Some baby corn snakes are frightened, aggressive, or flighty. Some are extremely calm, docile, tolerate handling relatively well.

Of course, the handling would probably have to be kept to a minimum average . . .

I would think that the noise of a classroom could really stress a baby. I would bring one and make sure it has lots of hides and isn't disturbed for a while before letting your students handle it. Even after that, I wouldn't let it out of the viv for more than 10-15 minutes for a while until it is really calm and confident with people.

Back