• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Two new corns and new owner

quixoft

I've always wanted a snake so I did the research and finally went out and picked up two baby corns.

My current setup for both is the typical 10 gallon setup with an UTH. Temperatures during the day are 74-86 where at night they are around 70-84.

I've had them two weeks now and both have eaten well the first go round. Two small pinkies each. One has already shed.

I remove them from the vivarium into separate containers for feeding once a week and plan to continue this practice. I wait about 30 minutes after they are done feeding to return them to their normal habitat.

They are both handled daily for about 15 to 30 minutes except for the 2 days after they've been fed.

One question I have is about cohabitation. I've read about both ends of the spectrum with some folks claiming it's fine and others saying one snake per habitat is best. Both of mine are females and I plan on building a 4'x'2x'3' vivarium in about 6 months once they are a bit larger to house them both.

Thoughts and opinions on this please?

Also, what is the average size for full grown females? I've read information that males are generally larger(4-5') than females(3-4') and I've also read the exact opposite. So are females the larger sex or the males?

Finally, I've done a bit of research on the different morphs and I believe mine to be an anerythristic striped and a amelanistic stripe. I'm sure I spelled that wrong but here is a pic of the two together.

4859209212_2dc324a3cb_b.jpg

Your snakes are too small to be sure they're female. The father of my clutch was sold to me as a girl. Two snakes that I'd had popped AND probed as females also turned out to be boys.

quixoft, you will find this forum pretty anti-cohabbing. I am sure it can be done, and that there are people who do it. But generally, people here will advise you NOT to cohab.

Shiari,

How old(or large) must they be for a definite pop or probe? I do not want to breed them so if they end up being male and female I will definitely separate them into different habitats.

One other question, whenever I place them back into the habitat, I always put them near the water bowl. They both will hang from my hand and just start drinking for a good 15 seconds. I've never seen them drink otherwise(not that I watch 24/7 though). I have the water bowl on the cool side right at the edge of the tank so it is in their path when they are wandering the edges.

Is this normal? I don't want dehydrated snakes!

Cohabitation with corn snakes can end very badly.

Pros:
You save space.

Cons:
Snakes get stressed
Stress can cause illness, loss of appetite, and regurgitation.
If one regurges, you won't be able to tell which one it was unless you actually witness it happening.
They could cannibalize each other. This is much more common among younger corns.

In the end, corn snakes are not social animals. They do not enjoy each others company unless they are breeding. Forcing two un-social animals together is harmful and not necessary. I am strongly against it.

Worst case scenario, you end up with one or more dead snakes. Not worth the risk.

How old(or large) must they be for a definite pop or probe?

The *only* way to know for sure is either to have them popped as male... or wait and see which, if any, ends up laying eggs. You cannot prove a female as a female any other way.

Back