• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Two snakes Same Viv?

Merlin

Hi folks,
This is my second post and for all of you people that helped with my first one thanks alot :D

I like my new cornsnake so much she cute I'll post a pic up when she deciedes she wants to pose but the question I have is can u put 2 corns (diffrent colours ETC) in the same viv? my viv is fairly big and my snake got lots of places to hide but I want another corn but don't wan't to shell out another 100 pounds

Any thoughts?????

Thanx

How big is the viv and. I think they should be okay toghether as long as they are the same size. But if you do get another corn without another viv and the new corn is a bit on the unfriendly/ unsociable side youll be a bit stuck. Did you say the viv would be 100 pound cos that sounds a lot to me.

sorry i changed my mind what i should of said was Is that 100 pounds for a wood and glass or a plastic one.

It's generally recommended that you house one snake per enclosure.

stress- one snake could be afraid of another or both could be afraid of each other and
disease- if one snake comes down with something, it can easily spread to the other snake
risk of breeding too early- smaller females have a higher chance of becoming egg-bound which can lead to death. You can avoid this by housing two females together instead of a pair, waiting until the female is the recommended breeding size (~3 feet), or housing separately.
cannibalism- although rare, it has occurred in corns. (go to Clint Boyer's site if you want to see some pics of this http://www.molalla.net/~cboyer/Cannibals.htm)

When you first get a new snake, you're supposed to quarantine it anyway (so you won't spread any diseases from your new snake to your other healthy snake), so you might as well just buy a separate enclosure and keep it.
Does your snake really need the fancy glass one with the sliding doors? Not at all; that's just what you like. Plastic tubs with airholes work just as well and they're much more affordable.

I have two corns housed in one viv, and have for quite some time now. Ir's really just a play it by ear thing. Some corns don't mind being together some do, you just have to see. But for sure don't house two corns that are very different in size, the larger one may see the smaller one as something more like a snack instead of a roomie. It is recomended that you have them in a roomier tank so that if they don't want to snuggle then they don't have too. I have two yearlings in a ten gallon for right now but will be moving them into a 20 within the next year, and I also have a couple 3 footers in a 40 long, everyone is very happy and I oftentimes see them all curled up together in one of the hides (I give them two hides, one for each corn).

Some say that it stresses them and that it's unatural because you won't find them living together in the wild, but from my experiance they do well together, just so long as you give them room and choices of where to go, and for sure feed them apart so that they don't end up fighting over food...

If they don't get along you could always buy a rubbermaid tub for the extra corn until you can save up for a new viv...

OMG you pay 100 quid for a viv? You could make one for cheaper than that lol! If you do decide to keep in separate enclosures I would go to a pet store and buy a clear seal (glass aqaurium) or a large tupperware. The aquariums look nicer and will cost you about 30-40 pounds for a 40 gal. Only prob with them is they don't keep the heat in too well (as with most glass vivs) so the room you keep it in would have to be warm, also some people worry about ventilation. If you do worry about this get a glass drill and do a couple holes along the side (get someone proffessional to do this so you don't break your tank! :p ) All my new additions will be housed in large tupperware (rubbermaids). Much cheaper and easier to clean out and snakes seem just as happy in them as the glass vivs.

Back