• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Two Underfed Corns.

XIIIHour

I have two Anery Corns who are at least two years old. My Mum purchased them before I had ever considered keeping snakes because she thought they were "cool." Unfortunatly, my Mum did not take care of the poor little things, and underfed them and left them without heat for a long time. When I finally realized how interesting it was to keep snakes, I immidiatly snatched them from her care, and they now live in my bedroom.

Both girls, Estra and Olivia, are healthy, but very small. They are starting to shed and grow again (they stopped shedding for a couple months) but they are both really tiny. Right now they are still eating pinkies. I really want to feed them a larger food item with more nutrients, but they cannot handle anything larger.

Does anyone have ideas?

You can try feeding two pinkies, or move to a small fuzzy. My local pet store sells small fuzzies that are just a little bigger than pinkies - so they must be readily available.

But you don't want to get them started regurging by too large a prey item. Are you feeding every five days? Be patient- they'll grow, and when they finally get on fuzzies, and then hoppers, they'll really take off.

Nanci

Yes, I do not want them to regurge. They both did that when they didn't have heat! Yes I feed them every five days. And I could ask for small fuzzies.

You do not state whether they have only one pinkie, or more than one pinkie, per feeding.

However... The food item/s should be equal to, or 1.5, the size of the largest width/portion of the snake's body.
If they cannot handle anything larger, than a pinkie, I would not be moving them up to something larger (because, though well-meaning, you could set them up for other problems). With patience, and a consistent feeding schedule (such as once every five days), they will grow. Let their bodies dictate the needed food size and not what you desire to feed them.
Heat is very important, for digestion, so make sure that they have a warm spot or warm end of enclosure (which it seems you do know;)).
If a pinkie leaves a noticeable lump, and the snake truly is very tiny, it does not need to move up to something larger.. yet.
If a single pinkie does not leave a noticeable lump, &/or if snake is big enough, then you can move the snake/s up to two pinkies or a peach fuzzy ... and go from there (IOW Move up to a fuzzy if two pinkies, &/or a peach fuzzy, is not large enough .. and etc., etc.).

Back