• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Types of Substrate

main_event

I create History...
I have been using paper towel with my three corns since I got them in jan 2005.

I have seen alot of photos and it seems to be that people are using woodchip or wood shavings as a substrate. Is this okay for corns, because i want to get rid of the paper towel and use something a little easier to look after.

Anyway, if you guys can reply with what you use and what you think of it that would be appriciated!!!

Thanks guys. Good job all of you with your great looking pets too. Seems that this forum is full of amatuer photographers!!!

Cheers all
Main Event

i use care fresh

DSC02317.jpg

they have white too

I use Aspen as well.

I stay away from both Cedar & Pine. Cedar is toxic to snakes. There has been talk of the toxic properties of Pine , especially when it gets in your pets drinking water.

main_event said:
I have been using paper towel with my three corns since I got them in jan 2005.

Is this okay for corns, because i want to get rid of the paper towel and use something a little easier to look after.

Main Event

I think newapaper/ paper towel is going to be the easiest to look after. (and cheaper!) I now use aspen and sani-chips. The snakes love them but i feel the newspaper was easier to maintain.

Sani-chips sounds good. I know it's silly but I like that tank to look good. Im sure the snakes don't care but i like the look of a good tank.

Anyway, thanks for you help guys!

As with most people that have posted, I used aspen shavings as well. It's easy, safe, and looks pretty good. :)

i use coconut bark. looks better than aspen and is not toxic. and all my snakes like to burrow in it. also easy to clean.

viv1.jpg

aspen here too... main event the corn in your picture is exactly the same as mine!! Almost identical head patterns as well!! :wavey:

i use dry eco earth coconut hull bedding it comes in little bricks that you add water too and expands to more than enough for a 20 gal long viv. it clumps up like kitty litter when is soiled and it absorbs odors. and also it holds moisture well too so if your snake is shedding you just pour a little water in it and it raises the humidity without makeing a mess or using a humid hide.

Aspen seems to be the most widely used substrate around here but I have always used "ReptiBark" and have never had any problems. I personally feel that it is also more aesthetically pleasing.

I use aspen normally, but when they are in shed I use "Forest Floor". It is cypress mulch and it holds humidity better than aspen. I've always had perfect sheds on "Forest Floor". The only problem with it, is the bugs in it. They are just wood mites, but I usually freeze them anyway, because I think they're gross.

I'm going to use that "Forest Floor" stuff but the jungle version for our Boa a little later on. but the aspen is doing fine at the moment. We just add Moss Moist Hide when they go into Shed. The corn likes it, he'll stay in it all blue cycle till shed if I'm correct.

Great, thanks for all the replies. Aspen seems to be the fav here. But that pic of the coconut bark looks great in tha viv of yours Tyger!

I'll see what I can get and go from there...

And miss blackstar, send me a pic of your corn. I want to see thanks!!!

Cheers guy and girls!
Main

i use cubbard backing. i got it at wallmart. it looks good. the snakes don't mind it. and it is really easy to clean. there are some pics on a thread i posted in the photo and new members area. it's super cheap, but there are some type the snakes don't like. i did it by trial and error. you can try that. only $6 or something, and it's totally washable and reuseable. i've had no probs. it's definately not toxic, nothting comes off of it! they can't burrow onto a heat pad, which i REALLY like. let me know if you want to know more, or have no idea what i'm talking about. :)

firesnake

Back