• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

ugh!

Paintdrops

I feel so horrible that i didnt research before hand though... my snakes are not set up properly, i dont have UTH or a temp probe, i currently have one of my snakes in an 18gal tub from walmart because i thought they could be put together... they have been separated for a week now and i have had them for a month now and they still refuse to eat... im so lost and im so upset because i feel like im not giving them the home and set up they need.... and to top it off i have no idea how im going to get the money together to get it right a second time, im working on getting the materials for my custom cage but its not going very quickly... i know ill be getting a good amount of money on sept 13th but i feel that is too long to wait to get them set up properly.. ugh:madeuce:

How old are they?
What are the temps like where you live?
How often are you trying to offer food?

If temps aren't warm enough for digestion, it might be best to wait until you get the proper heat & temp regulation set up before you offer food again.

Also, watch Craigslist for stuff, you can sometimes find everything you need for a good price.

I don't know how old they are, they are only 1ft long at the moment and I at least know they are young... im in Idaho so the summers are about 90 degrees and by the end of October it is snowing. right now the tank is staying at 85, but for the snake in the plastic bin i have no way to provide heat but during the day it is a good 85-90 degrees in my room because we have no AC... i've decided not to wait until the custom cage and just going down to home depot and getting a piece of plexiglass, diving up my 50gal into 2 25gal sides, then buying 2 UTH, it will be a bearable expense for now.

i just hope that puts things right for the most part......

as far as feeding i am offering them a pinkie once a week... i have a small rescue couple coming on friday to probe my snakes and they said they can help me try to feed them, but they said that sometimes babies need to be forcefed?? im not sure about that or heard anything about it, and they don't need anymore stress then they already have, what do you think?

I would not recommend force feeding. I think it is a bit too soon to start force feeding. Snakes can go a long time without eating.
Can you take a pic of them in your hand or something for size reference?

It's great that you are getting things set up for them individually.
Make sure to get some sort of thermostat or rheostat, to regulate the temps, because you can over ehat them & cause injuries or death if it's not regulated.

I am inclined to believe that your snakes should be on larger prey, but I wanted to see size comparison to verify.
Another idea is take a pic of each of them next to a pinky mouse, & we can help you determine if it is the correct sized prey for them.

89d00c80-529e-410a-aa87-1c4d5adc497c_zpsc135bcfb.jpg
best photo the pinkies i have been trying to feed are the smallest ones i can buy. the pinkies head is about twice that of the snakes head. both snakes are the same size and i only have one decent photo in my hand

If you divide the large tank in two, you only need to get one UTH and one thermostat. Put the UTH in the center of the tank so part of it is on each half. You can use some Krylon fusion paint to paint the plexi before you install it so they won't be able to see each other. Make sure the plexi goes all the way to the top though or one will end up on the wrong side.

You could also do the same thing with plastic tubs. Get a larger UTH and set 2 tubs next to each other over the UTH.

okay, i thought about that, but didnt think it would work, what size UTH should i get small, med or large for a 50gal tank?
Also I was thinking of using plywood instead of plexi because i already have some in my garage and would save some money? i just have to make sure it isnt pine or cedar

I feel so horrible that i didnt research before hand though... my snakes are not set up properly, i dont have UTH or a temp probe, i currently have one of my snakes in an 18gal tub from walmart because i thought they could be put together... they have been separated for a week now and i have had them for a month now and they still refuse to eat... im so lost and im so upset because i feel like im not giving them the home and set up they need.... and to top it off i have no idea how im going to get the money together to get it right a second time, im working on getting the materials for my custom cage but its not going very quickly... i know ill be getting a good amount of money on sept 13th but i feel that is too long to wait to get them set up properly.. ugh:madeuce:
It sounds like you do have a little work to do, but it needn't cost a lot at this stage. Hatchlings do very well in a lunchbox sized tub with airholes.
To safely run any UTH you will need a thermostat. The good news is that you can get a UTH big enough to go under both smalll tubs and run it from the thermostat. When you have bigger set ups and need two UTH you can run them both from the same thermostat providing they are the same size and brand.
Digital thermometers are much cheaper if you go to a store with a gardening section and get an in/out thermometer with probe rather than one from a reptile shop.
Until you have the temperatures controlled your snakes may not eat and it will probably be safer not to try to feed them. Too high or too low temperatures can cause them to refuse to eat or to regurgitate their meals, which can be very serious for their health.

TAHH DAHH! Got the tank set up, divider is sitting on a base that sits in the cage, it fits so tightly i need nothing to fill the sides. tomorrow i am getting the UTH and the thermostat!! thanks everyone for your help i feel much better now! it is made out of a type of plastic that they use for bathroom partitions, very heavy and like i said it sits on its own support...thanks to my father-in-law :))

f69b60cc-5ef4-40db-b167-627095d7dcb0_zps5b7193b2.jpg

7aea23ec-4793-4fa5-94ed-f6f23df59f85_zps9c7d600b.jpg

Photo0437_zpsa0453c09.jpg

39072652-5260-4355-b9ed-927183f543ed_zpsf628e7de.jpg

I seriously need a new camera xD but when i get the UTH i will be getting more hides and plants as well, new decor on the inside, its too bland as of now

That is excellent! You may well not need the light once the UTH is running.

I agree, one light is more than enough for one 10 gallon, much less cutting it in half. Also, you want to add more hides, even toilet paper rolls, and some plastic or silk plants. Corns love to hide in and around the plants, and they help with shedding. I bought some very cheap plastic aquarium plants off of eBay and they look good and are great hiding places.

Thanks guys :) I got the materials from my father-in-law actually, he is a maintenance manager at a school district so he has a lot of materials on hand... today i am getting the UTH and all new decorations and hides. once i have the UTH i wont be using the lighting at all, the light in my bedroom is enough for them to know between day and night. I'm thinking ill leave them alone for about 2 weeks and then try to feed them again. I feel so much better now that ill have everything set up for today!

Back