• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Uhh, Bath?

Snakes&Scapulars

I was on vacation for 5 days and fed my snake right before and left him in his feeding cage while i was gone. Well, in the meanwhile he pooped twice and now his cage and him stink like you don't want to know!:puke01: So my question is can I give him a bath and how? Also, what is the best way to go about cleaning his cage?????? Please help me!

Thank you so much in advance!

You can clean the snake off by getting an old towel wet and letting him wriggle through it in your hands. It'll wipe him down and get any poop off him. Make sure the water you use to wet the towel is cool to your touch but not hot or cold.

As for the tank, just clean it down as you would do for a thorough clean-out. Depends what type it is - my feeding tubs are portable Critter Keeper types. I just pile them in the bath, spray them with reptile-safe disinfectant, give them a scrub if any muck is dried on, then rinse with the shower.

Was there a particular reason why he couldn't stay in his usual tank? As a future tip, I'd advise leaving the snake in its usual tank when you go away. That way, if it poops, it will have the chance to get away from the mess and won't be rolling around in it for days (I'm assuming the feeding tank is smaller than his regular one).

Thank you so much! The reason was because I had just fed him and thought that if I picked him up he would regurgitate. His feeding cage is smaller, it is like a footx6inches. I will go do that immediately. I have a different question now. Would it be okay if I filled his plastic tank with a couple of inches of water and let him swim around a little? just curious, he doesn't drink much that I know of and I thought that this might encourage him to drink as much as he needs. I wish I had another water bowl, one that was bigger. Thanks again!

It's fine to move them gently between tanks immediately after feeding - this shouldn't result in a regurge. The "No handling after feeding" rule really refers to taking him out and playing with him, or encouraging him to be active when he should be left in peace to digest.

As for the swimming idea, you don't need to encourage him to drink - he will know where the water bowl is and find his way to it when he needs to. I rarely ever see mine drink and they're all fine. They're mostly active at night when I'm not around anyway. As long as yours always has access to clean water, he'll be OK too. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

It's fine to move them gently between tanks immediately after feeding - this shouldn't result in a regurge. The "No handling after feeding" rule really refers to taking him out and playing with him, or encouraging him to be active when he should be left in peace to digest.

As for the swimming idea, you don't need to encourage him to drink - he will know where the water bowl is and find his way to it when he needs to. I rarely ever see mine drink and they're all fine. They're mostly active at night when I'm not around anyway. As long as yours always has access to clean water, he'll be OK too. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Thanks! I guess I just worry too much, well, this is really the longest I have had a corn (and it has only been like four months!). So I get scared at every little thing.

I remember the feeling - it's nerve-wrenching isn't it? I still get it with every new Corn and many times each hatching season. You'll eventually learn your Corn's habits and he'll be a source of pleasure rather than worry!

I remember the feeling - it's nerve-wrenching isn't it? I still get it with every new Corn and many times each hatching season. You'll eventually learn your Corn's habits and he'll be a source of pleasure rather than worry!

Yes, it is!!!! Man, finally someone who understands! How long will it be before my snake reaches full length? It is 9 months right now (I think). I am pretty sure he hatched in April. The man at the pet store said that he was 4-6 months (this was in August) so I am just saying that he was five months. I am an impatient parent, ha ha, I just want to see my baby boy/girl grow up!

Corns usually reach their adult size at around three years old, but it's an individual thing. Some grow a bit faster, some slower.

Don't be in too much of a rush to grow your guy on, though. Slow, steady growth will ensure that your Corn lives a long and healthy life.

Corns usually reach their adult size at around three years old, but it's an individual thing. Some grow a bit faster, some slower.

Don't be in too much of a rush to grow your guy on, though. Slow, steady growth will ensure that your Corn lives a long and healthy life.

Cool! Well, I want him to live a long healthy life and I hope that I am doing everything possible to ensure that. Any tips?

Thank you so much! The reason was because I had just fed him and thought that if I picked him up he would regurgitate. His feeding cage is smaller, it is like a footx6inches. I will go do that immediately. I have a different question now. Would it be okay if I filled his plastic tank with a couple of inches of water and let him swim around a little? just curious, he doesn't drink much that I know of and I thought that this might encourage him to drink as much as he needs. I wish I had another water bowl, one that was bigger. Thanks again!

I'd have to personally say that's not such a good idea.
As the water temp will remain colder than without water and could harm him.
They do bath but they get out and warm up. In a pool of water for any lengthy of time. Well he'd have not be able to heat up.

I'd have to personally say that's not such a good idea.
As the water temp will remain colder than without water and could harm him.
They do bath but they get out and warm up. In a pool of water for any lengthy of time. Well he'd have not be able to heat up.

Okay thank you for the advice! By the way, when I saw your username I felt the sudden urge to say, "Midnight," out loud and mysteriously. Ha ha ha...

Back