• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ultras or ultra amel or what?

Scally Friends

I posted these earlier yesterday with lots of other baby corns i have bred this year.

does anyone have any ideas what they are? or know what they are?

Charlotte
xxxxxxxxxx

Attachments

• Amel dark 1.JPG
    Amel dark 1.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 177
  • Bright norma 1.1.JPG
    Bright norma 1.1.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 176
Scally Friends said:
I posted these earlier yesterday with lots of other baby corns i have bred this year.

does anyone have any ideas what they are? or know what they are?

Charlotte
xxxxxxxxxx
I've hatched hypos that look like that. Anyone can say "they look like ____" but the only useful answer will come from breeding trials. The outcome of breeding is the dividing line between ultra/ultramel versus hypo. You need to cross them to an amel (one that is known, not just assumed but known, to NOT carry the hypo gene) and see what they produce. Until then, everything is just a guess.

Serpwidgets said:
I've hatched hypos that look like that. Anyone can say "they look like ____" but the only useful answer will come from breeding trials. The outcome of breeding is the dividing line between ultra/ultramel versus hypo. You need to cross them to an amel (one that is known, not just assumed but known, to NOT carry the hypo gene) and see what they produce. Until then, everything is just a guess.

Thanks Serp for posting that.
I'm not quite sure how much I've read that "may there be an Ultra in the game?" in the past few weeks but it seems that the Ultra gen is floading around in every animal out there since it became "famous" through that co-dominance.

I am guessing that we could not use a known pure snow as the breeder with the Ultra/UltraAmel???

Regards

TandJ said:
I am guessing that we could not use a known pure snow as the breeder with the Ultra/UltraAmel???

A Snow would be fine.
You just have to have a pure Amelanistic - that the Snow is also hom. Anerythristic doesn't matter in this case.
IF it is an Ultra/Ultramel you should get:

Case Ultra:
100% Ultramel

Case Ultramel:
50% Amelanistic
50% Ultramel

All het. Anerythristic...

The genetics always gets me.. I just have no way in knowing at this point what exactly are in the back grounds of my animals. I suppose what I could do is when they get large enough to breed just let them do it and see what the end results are.. From what I understand, from what you posted, is that if the Snow is just Snow ( no Hets ) the offsprng with an Ultramel would all be Amel providing the Ultramel is also Homo.. ?? I am trying to learn... I swear, one day I will get this and understand it completely..

Regards

TandJ said:
The genetics always gets me.. I just have no way in knowing at this point what exactly are in the back grounds of my animals. I suppose what I could do is when they get large enough to breed just let them do it and see what the end results are.. From what I understand, from what you posted, is that if the Snow is just Snow ( no Hets ) the offsprng with an Ultramel would all be Amel providing the Ultramel is also Homo.. ?? I am trying to learn... I swear, one day I will get this and understand it completely..

Regards
The ultra (a<sup>u</sup>) gene exists at the albino locus, just like the amel (a<sup>a</sup>) gene does.
a<sup>u</sup> · a<sup>u</sup> is an ultra, and can look just like a hypo.
a<sup>a</sup> · a<sup>u</sup> is an ultramel (short for ultra/amel) and may look just like a hypo. (Ultramels are NOT homo, they are het.)
a<sup>a</sup> · a<sup>a</sup> is an amel.

---This is why ultra does not behave the same way as hypo, for example:

If you cross a hypo to an amel, you get normals.

If you cross an ultra to an amel, you get ultramels.

---But this can mess people up if they do not know what they have because:

If you cross two ultramels together, you get an outcome that would look like 3/4 hypos, 1/4 amels.

If you cross two hypos het amel toegether, you get an outcome that would look like 3/4 hypos, 1/4 amels.

Some "similar" crosses have similar-looking outcomes, some make very different outcomes. This is all dependent on whether the gene you're working with is ultra or hypo. This is why it's so important to determine which one you are dealing with.

Thank you Serp.. In a few years I will have to try that with the ultramel 0.1 I recently got. I have a nice 1.0 reverse okeetee I got from Kathy, and that should be able to point in the direction of what exactly this little girl might be.. Will have to wait 2 or 3 years before I can breed the Ultra...

Hopefully I can get the grist of this stuff soon...

Regards..

Back