• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Unbred 10 year old lays eggs

ramanth

Lucy shed around Friday, May 20th and refused food on Tuesday, May 24th.
I came home last night to find her curled around some eggs.

She was quite active last week despite refusing the food and popped the lid off her shed box, which is what she crammed herself under to lay. :rolleyes:

I've had her since she was 6 months old and this is the first for both of us.

27374427735_edb088e9c3_c.jpg

27276725822_39848de9d6_c.jpg

She's starting to dull out again, so it appears she'll shed again.

Part of me wants to check on her, while the other part of me just wants to leave her be and not disturb her. Also, is it normal for corns to be or appear protective of their eggs?

What's the best course of action?

I would remove the eggs since they are infertile and will start to rot. She is in her post lay shed cycle. Treat her as you would for a shed. Her weight looks good but you probably want to check it and bump up her feeding schedule accordingly after she sheds.

Some corns can be protective while most show no "motherly" instincts :)

Congrats on being such a great keeper!

I would remove the eggs since they are infertile and will start to rot. She is in her post lay shed cycle. Treat her as you would for a shed. Her weight looks good but you probably want to check it and bump up her feeding schedule accordingly after she sheds.

Some corns can be protective while most show no "motherly" instincts :)

Congrats on being such a great keeper!

I totally agree with Daddio, since I've gone through a similar situation with one of my snakes. You should just pick her up gently and place her near a fresh water bowl. She might jerk her tail a little at you but as long as she sees you coming she shouldn't bite you.

DLena,
I'm at work currently. Those photos were taken last night and this morning. Once I get home, I'll apologize to her, take the eggs, and re-set up her shed box.

Hopefully she'll shed soon so I can offer her some yummy mice. ^_^

I'm sure she'll be fine, thanks for asking!

Lucy is doing great. Thanks for the advice!

I lifted the shed box off her and she didn't hiss or rattle her tail, so I took that as a good sign and gently lifted her out. She had 12 eggs total and I didn't feel any bulges in her so I'm relieved she got them all out. After removing the eggs, I refreshed her shed box, and got her some fresh water which she gulped down. I weighed her (446g) then placed her back and she immediately went to her shed box where she's still at as of this morning. ^_^

27108113430_49788b4c04_c.jpg

27108116600_e6e51fcc92_c.jpg

26777170073_e5c1490af7_c.jpg

27383692035_ab9bbb1f7e_c.jpg

Lucy Looks in fantastic shape!
It is heart warming to see such a well cared for pet for such along time :)

Thank You !!!

After a snake lays, fertile or infertile, I offer a small mouse as soon as I take the eggs away. Something like a hopper or a couple fuzzies. Then, breaking my rule of never feeding while in blue, I'll give the normal meal at the next regularly scheduled feeding- usually the weekend. If she refuses, fine. Usually the female is very hungry.

Lucy looks very well fed. Some people theorize that the abundance of food signals the snake to develop eggs, whether they have a hope of being fertilized or not. I don't know why some females reabsorb the ova, and some go on to lay slugs.

Back