• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Underweight?

CornBoy

Hi!
Newbie here, looking to get some help! :)

I am hoping to do some breeding soon, but I'm not sure we're ready. At this time, my 3 year old female weighs 270 grams and my 2 year old male weighs 170. This is just before feeding.

They are in a room that currently ranges from 65 F during the day down to 50 at night.

Can I still breed this spring, and what do I need to do to get them more ready?

Thanks!
Bob

Bob,
My personal preference is for females to be able to pass several (20+ times) a weanling size rat before breeding. This ensures they are capable of being 'all stretchy down there'. There is nothing sadder than a young female breeding when she is like 11 years old in human years, having complications (egg binding), and then never being able to breed again, or dying because someone was impatient. Personally, I do not go by the 3 feet AND 300 gram "rule". The majority of my females are considerably over the "minimum" weight AND length. There are a couple of exceptions, but my rules for myself are based on the normal scenario. There are instances of breeding before the 3 foot/300 gram threshold, however, these are exceptions. I do not base personal rules upon exceptions.
Please treat what I have said here with some speculation as I have only been breeding cornsnakes for 3 going on 4 years, and do not know everything. I have experienced tragedy when impatient.
hope this helps.
dave

Thanks for your reply, Dave. Wow, you have a lot of snakes!

We only have 4 corns so far. The female I'd like to breed is a mystery Amel female, I just fed her 2 adult mice, maybe I can fatten her up. :idea:

How long is the time that breeding can happen? I see some members have already had eggs... Is it dependent on when I start to warm up the snakes?
Bob

Back