• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Upper age limit for breeding?

texasreb

What is the oldest you would breed a corn male and female? Does a male's sperm's viability go down with advancing age?

Also, do snakes pass on personality characteristics of the parents?

I'm not sure exact answers, but yes there would be a cut off. I know some females have been giving amazing clutches for 10+ years. I wouldn't think you'd have to worry about anything until they're in their elderly years (15+). But, don't quote me on that. It's just a theory.

As for personalities, to a point. I know I heard of one person attempting to breed extremely docile snakes. She took the calmest babies from a calm pairing and was going to pair them together. It may not truly do anything, but it's possible. I do know that my more excitable parents produced more excitable babies, but it may just be coincidental.

Personality? Possibly, especially if they cohab for a week or more or if they see each other by having tanks next to each other.

I bred a 12 year old female last year, and the results were disappointing. I got 6 live hatchlings- I think the clutch was about 14. (The rest were slugs or appeared good but went bad, so were probably infertile.) I think in this case the female was most likely to blame, because the male has an excellent fertility record.

Back