• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

URGENT!! MY GARTER IS SICK

Zany Chimp

Harvesting Maniac
This morning, my garter was slithering sideways. I thought it was just getting used to the new substrate (coconut bark) a little more mountainous than the last substrate. Well now it's totally limp! I changed its water and turned on the heat lamp (Today was 60° F all day) What is going on and what can I do?

Well, it's getting better, but I am still concerned. Perhaps I have read too many sick pet horror stories?

What is the temp and humidity in his cage? Has he been eating, shedding and pooping okay? Is he housed with any other snakes?

It died. Petco told me that garters tolerate a large temperature range, so I don't monitor it closely. There is not much humidity. I've only had it long enough for one shed. This was my only snake.

It died. Petco told me that garters tolerate a large temperature range, so I don't monitor it closely. There is not much humidity. I've only had it long enough for one shed. This was my only snake.

I'm very sorry. That shows you how much Petco knows..

I would suggest getting a refund or getting another snake.

The refund deal only lasts 15 days so that's out of the question. I think it may have had substrate in its digestive system. There's a lump in its belly and there has been no poop since I changed the substrate.

I'm very sorry. That shows you how much Petco knows..

I would suggest getting a refund or getting another snake.

I disagree.
You should have known better to search a proper care sheet for garters or get a book. It's not PetCo's fault, and I doubt they would give you a refund.

If you do get another snake, research it properly.

I disagree.
You should have known better to search a proper care sheet for garters or get a book. It's not PetCo's fault, and I doubt they would give you a refund.

I do agree that you should have researched the animal before getting it or at least done some research when you got it.

On the other hand it could be some fault of Petco. Most of their employees are not that knowledgeable about reptiles. If they will feed a non feeding cornsnake crickets and think its alright, what else to they do wrong? This snake in question could have had some thing wrong to begin with. Theres no telling if it regurged at the store, swallowed bedding, had parasites etc. Taking it to the vet for a quick check up would be beneficial too.

I am sorry for your loss. But the best course of action is always read up on any animal before getting it. Good luck in the future. Some times lessons in life are hard. But it's how we learn. :)

I am sorry about this, Did your snake eat since the last thread you created about it not eating?
But don't fret, next time (and I am sure there will be another snake) start your little one on paper towels with a hide or 2.
And yes, I recommend getting a book or 2 on your snake of choice. Right now just build up a library of reptile books and read up.
But remember Garter Snakes can be a bit challenging to a new comer due to the fish issue.
If you do get a new snake, I recommend getting a Corn or Rat snake as your next one. Its breeding season right now and you might get a nice 07 if you look around. But look at somewhere else besides petco. Take a look at your local herp society, there should be a breeder of corn snakes near you. (we're every where).

I disagree.

And again, I would like to remind you, you are the LAST person to yell at someone about care.
Shall I remind you of this thread? Remember this will haunt you until you stop badgering and flaming people.

My friend has garters and has had successful breedings. The ones I bought at Petco were in fact his babies that he sold to the store. I don't have much money right now, so I guess I'll start growing shamrocks for money or something. Thanks for the help, tricksterpup.

I was not yelling or flaming at people. Neither was I talking to you so I would appreciate it if you would leave me the HELL alone.

Whoo... calm down. No reason act in such a manner.

tricksterpup, maybe she has learned from then. Everyone makes miskates and learns form them. No need to shove things in people faces.

Whoo... calm down. No reason act in such a manner.

tricksterpup, maybe she has learned from then. Everyone makes miskates and learns form them. No need to shove things in people faces.

She's got a point though, this is like the 5th time Jim has done this. I'm not defending what she did, but there comes a time when you've gotta say 'she's made a mistake, but she's learning, so let it go'.

Yeah, she made a mistake, a pretty bad one, but she's trying to learn from it. She seems to take good care of her snakes otherwise, so I think you should go easy on her Jim. She wasn't being overly critical or rude, she was just pointing out the facts. Just because she made that one error doesn't mean she's never allowed to pass judgement or help others.

All the best

David

My friend has garters and has had successful breedings. The ones I bought at Petco were in fact his babies that he sold to the store. I don't have much money right now, so I guess I'll start growing shamrocks for money or something. Thanks for the help, tricksterpup.

Zany,
well hopefully you can get one directly from your friend this year.

I highly recommend this beginner book on Garters. It will help you with much of the basic info that you need. I am sure you already know much from your personal experience but it should give you other information that you did not know.
I got this book at a used book store for under $5.
gartersnake.jpg

Also, start looking around locally, you might be able to get some used items fairly cheaply or buy the items one thing at a time before you get your next snake. It sounds like you have most of it anyway.

Back