• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Urgent (?) question about temperature

JeffDenver

I just fed my snake yesterday...he refuses to use the hide on the warm side of the tank. He likes the cool side better for whatever reason. I have checked temps and the warm side is not too hot. The cool side is room temp (around 68F to 70F...I have a thermometer at the far edge of the cool side at the bottom)

My question is this: How vital is higher temps for digestion? Will this cause any problems or is it not a big deal as long as I provide a temperature gradient? Should I "force" him onto the warm side?

I think as long as you have the proper temp gradient set up, he should be fine. Snakes will thermoregulate on their own, so if he feels like he's too cold, he'll go to the warm side.

How hot is the warm side and how are you measuring it? And where are you measuring it?

Bottom line- the snake can find the correct temp, usually, but you need to make sure he can't roast himself on the warm side.

What type of thermometer are you using a digital thermometer or one of the dial ones?

It is a glass one I originally used for an aquarium, but it matches digital readings. I tested it.

How hot is the warm side and how are you measuring it? And where are you measuring it?

I have a digital one with probe. The probe is against the glass on the bottom, where it measures 91F. He never burrows though...I am sure the top is less than that.

Mainly I am trying to avoid a potential regurgitation because he cant digest the prey item fast enough.

i wouldnt worry too much, i have a male snake that in my entire life with him 9 years now, has never sat on the warm side unless there was a random cold spike. Even when the power went out a year ago and it was balls to the walls cold, he just likes to be cold! and Ive never figured it out. let the temp on the hot side drop a bit and dont worry :) as long as you are providing it there is nothing to worry about :)

I thought the upper limit was around 90F. I can lower it though.
90 is thought to be the safe maximum for short periods, not the ideal constant upper temperature. If they stay at 90 for any length of time, it can cause problems.

If you aim to get the floor of the tank to the mid-80s, that gives wiggle room at the top end.

Back