• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Urine smell?

JjSnake

Is it possible that a 1-month old terrarium with a hatchling cornsnake could start having a strong smell of urine? Something in the general area of the terrarium smells bad, but I can't figure out what it is. There's also a mouse in the same area, and I just changed the mouse's bedding, but still the smell remains. I can't pinpoint it to an exact location. It could also be that maybe a cat peed in the area, or something like that.

I guess I'm just wondering if a urine-type smell is characteristic of snakes. Should i change the entire snake bedding? It all looks very clean still, and I've removed any poopies that I've seen in the past.

Thanks

P.S. I'm obviously a newbie, so please nobody laugh at me or tell me anything mean. Thanks. :)

The type of smell should help give you a clue as to who the culprit is. In my experience, my corn snakes' droppings have a very distinctive, almost fishy smell. If you are smelling more of a strong ammonia scent, you will probably want to investigate your four legged friends.

I had a cat once that never sprayed for years until we added a new puppy to the family. All of a sudden, he was marking everywhere. Yours may be doing the same thing because of your new addition.

There's my two cents anyway.

I am in total agreement as well. Look to your four legged friends. I don't have knowledge of your rodent but felines will certainly leave a strong smell.

I'm so glad you guys gave me the hint that it's probably the cat! That made me realize that it is the strong, concentrated scent of cat urine. Then I searched hard underneath the table, and found a new wet spot. Yuck! But I was happy to have found it. I sprayed it with some bacterial odor digester spray thing.

Thanks for the help! :) Also I'm glad to learn that snakes don't usually get that stinky! :)

Back