• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

using uv light to eluminate the cage

Had1nowwant1

i have a reptiglo 8.0 uv bulb that i used for my bearded dragon when he was in a 20 gallon. im putting one of my corns in a 20 now and i want to use this light to light up the cage but it puts out alot of UVA and i think UVB and maybe some heat. It is meant for desert reptile that need alot of uv rays. Do you think this would be fine to use on my corns cage?

how long was it used? Florescent UVB lamps quickly degrade over time, so if it was used for over 6 months, you have little to worry about... they really don't put out much heat, and shouldn't be a big problem being used for your corn

Like The Nothing had said, the UV output of most of those bulbs degrade pretty quickly.

I wouldn't put a brand new high UV bulb in there, though. I think that would be overkill, and potentially harmful for your snake as corns don't need radical lighting for their calcium needs.

well another concern i have is that he has branches that get right up under the light and would that cause him any harm if it did put out alot of uv rays?

Just a dumb question here, but can't you go to the hardware store and buy a regular fluorescent bulb that's the same length for your light unit?

Thay should only set you back about $3 or so, and you're guaranteed to be 100% on the safe side.

But if you wanted a broader spectrum of light to enhance the colors of your snake and its surroundings, petstores frequently carry full spectrum lighting that has no UV output at all for around $10 or so.

If you're this worried about the UV from your older bulb, don't use it. There ARE cheaper alternatives out there. =)

im not that worried i just dont want to do anything wrong and have it hurt my snake and i already have this bulb so i might as well just use it. It probably won't have any ill effect on the snake unless they can somehow get like uva or uvb poisoning but i dont think so.

Cheap alternative that will look just as good is an energy saver 680 colour/6500k for anyone that doesn't know that is daylight and they will make your cage look really natural. They can be hard to find though.

Back