• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

UTH and Thermostat

8292tom

We just got our first corn snake last week He is housed in a 10 gallon aquarium now, but later this week I am getting him a 20 gallon long Critter Keeper. My question is what size UTH to get to heat the larger tank. Should a UTH cover half the underside of the tank ? I am in Pa. so it is cold here now. My house is kept rather cool 66-68 degrees because my son has asthma and if it's to warm he weezes. I would like advice on what size, wattage, brand and maybe where you got yours to make this transition to the larger tank. I am unsure weather to go with a UTH that has a thermostat or buy a dimmer at lowes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'd buy a separate UTH and thermostat. Aim for covering 1/4 to 1/3 of the tank. You don't have to heat the whole thing- he just needs a warm hide to go into. In fact, he just _needs_ a nice deep layer of aspen and he can burrow down to a comfortable depth/temp.

If you get an UTH from the pet store (usually ZooMed or All Living Things) it should specify the size for the tank. All my snakies in 20L have the 10-20 gallon UTHs. :}

Thanks Nanci I don't have any trouble heating the10 gal. tank. I just was unsure about the larger tank. Aspen is what we use so we are good there.

zoo-med and a thermostat. the 10 to 20 gallon uth works perfect in a 20l. thats what i have. i say thermostat because i used a rheostat and couldn't get the temp down low enough. (saved me alot of headaches) and now i have another corn in another tank which uses the same thermostat!! good luck

Thanks for all your help. I will be moving him (?)this weekend. I want to set up the new tank and monitor it for a few days before i move him into it.

Back