• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

uth placement

wavenup

Before i came to this site i DIDNT KNOW THE SNAKES NEEDED BELLY HEAT. i placed my uth on the right side of the tank instead of on the bottom of the tank because my tank is located on my dresser and i thought my dresser would posibly caTCH ON FIRE. THE INSTRUCTIONS SAID U CAN PUT THE UTH ON THE SIDE OF THE TANK SO I DID. :bang:

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

I SEARCHED EVERY WHERE AND GOT NO ANSWERS.

I had the same concerns, So what I did was to build a little frame that lifted the tank off the dresser and so that the uth wouldn't touch it, I also use duck tape to attach it to the bottom of Viv instead of pulling off the sticky part and using that. So I could move it latter.
The frame is 3/4 inch by 2 inch wood, Using a table saw I rip a "lip" in the wood that the edge of the Viv would fit into. I raised it about 1/2 off the "floor". Knowing that not everyone has a table saw, and just throwing out a idea here ..............may be you could as go to a tile store, Home depot , Lowe's or somewhere like that a get four small floor tile and hot glue them to the bottom of your Viv. I haven't try this but I think it should work.

Good Luck :cheers:

Thanks U All

But I Already Put The Uth On The Right Side Of The Tank

I Dont Think U Can Pull It Off And Place It Under Th Tank

Side mounted is fine.

I've had my heat mats side mounted in wooden vivs for almost 15 years and had no problems.

I've had no sick snakes, no prolems at mealtimes and only two regurges the whole time, both of which were from a female who'd just laid eggs and is not fine.

As for removing it once it's been mounted, I suppose it depends how you mounted it. Can't see why it would a problem unless you welded it to the wood or something. ;)

I don't if a UTH under normal operating conditions will burn anything. Mine only goes up to 100 degrees F. Which isn't a lot, considering the blacktop outside your house on a summer day has to be well over 150 degrees. If you lay a tree branch on the street, does it catch on fire?

Slippery Ernie said:
If you lay a tree branch on the street, does it catch on fire?

Ahh yes, the lesser-known half of the old question "if a tree falls in the woods and no one's around, does it still make a sound?"

:shrugs:

It's not a good idea to pull it off if you've already put it on with the included sticky part. They aren't supposed to be bent and stretched that much.

The important part is the temperature at the location your snake stays while he's "basking."

Back