• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

UTH size confusion

Bree

I thought I might need to get a larger UTH for Bunny's new 20L, but I am a bit confused now.

Since a 20L is 30 x 12, a third of the bottom would be 120 square inches (unless my math is off). The UTH on her current home is an 11 x 6 Ultratherm from the Bean Farm, so is only 66 square inches. The next Ultratherm size up is a bit too big - 11 x 17, 187 square inches.

So I looked at the Zoo Med Reptitherms and the one they have marked for 20 gallon tanks is only 6 x 9, 54 square inches, in which case it seems like my 11 x 6 would be fine. In order to get closer to a third of the bottom I would need to get the UTH for 30-40 gallon tanks - 8 X 12, 96 square inches.

So, should I buy a larger UTH even if it is supposed to be used with larger tanks, or just stick with the one I have already? Which is more important... following the tank size recommendations for the heater, or covering a third of the bottom?

I'd go with the "cover one-third of the floor" guideline, as that seems pretty standard for Corns. The instructions with the mats themselves are generic, rather than species-specific.

It's not an exact science - as long as there's more unheated floor surface than heated, that should be fine.

I am going to disagree with Bitsy. The heat will radiate out from the glass so you will get the 1/3 coverage that you want so you want a smaller heat pad so you only get the 120 square inches that you want.

Both you and Bitsy live in cooler climates than I do so you may need the extra heat to keep the warm side temp up in the winter.

Just me 2 cents Fatman

The way I see it, the heated area of one-third the floor, will be at the max temp (as set on the thermostat). Then there will be a small intermediate zone next to the mat (UTHs are designed to heat the surface and not to radiate very much heat), and then a cool unheated zone.

Seems to work for mine, but I doubt either of our ideas would be a problem for the Corn really!

Thank you both for your input!

I think I will get the larger ZooMed, since it's still not quite a third of the tank that will give me a little wiggle room with radiated heat along the glass, but will still be large enough to keep a decent sized area up to temp come winter. Thanks!

Back