• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

uth ??

itzchaboiwesley

ok so i hear that when you stick the uth under your tank it is kind of hard to take off when you are cleaning it. is it possible to just keep the pad under the tank without peeling off the sticker to stick it under the tank. will that peel over heat and caught on fire or anything?

Stick it on a tile and put that under the tank instead of directly on the glass. Though since it goes under the tank and not in it, cleaning that part of the tank is not really as crucial for the cleanliness of the snake's habitat. But by using the tile you can use it later for a different tank if you wanted to.

A ceramic floor tile, large kitchen wall tile or piece of slate would all work really well.
You may find you will have to raise your tank slightly to accomodate the tile and heat mat, but this can be done easily by placing coasters of thin strips of wood under the four corners of the tank.

Hope that helps,

Hmm so like ceramic floor tile I see any other surfaces I can use with it n so pretty much I cant just leave the uth as it is without peelin the sticky side off n just plugin it in. Hmm

You possibly could leave it as it is, but the coating over the sticky side may start sliding off with the heat of the mat, I'm not sure.

I live in the UK so haven't used this type of mat, the ones we get over here don't have the sticky side, so maybe another member will come along who has experience with these mats and advise you better.

Best wishes,

Frankly I haven't attached any of my heat mats to anything at all. As far as I'm concerned they're not going to be hot enough to damage the surfaces they're on. So I just make sure the tank is slightly raised up and put the UTH down ("sticky side" up) on the surface the tank is on and it allows for passage of air.

I kept sticky on mat and used just a little duct tape on each side of mat to hold in place.
I am thinking if I need to replace the mat it will be easier to clean the small amount of adhesive off?? and then left space between bottom of shelf and tank.
Seems ok so far but is the heat distribution better using the tile???

Ah man I should have thought of using duck tape to tape it on instead! I actaully just said screw it n placed the sticky part n attached directly on to the tank. Man I guess wen I wash the tank and take it off imma just do that tape it with duck tape back oh wellz

My tank came with a defective UTH stuck on the bottom. It peeled off quite easily, left no residue, and was quite easy to stick back on again. I've since stuck a new exo-terra UTH on the same tank and it is also quite easy to peel off.
It could be that other brands are stickier, but I haven't had the problem that other people have.

Bram,
I guess the general thoughts here are wrong? Could have been the older UTH that were a problem? I just read some posts and thought better safe then sorry.
What brand are you using? I think I will try this on next little glass viv I use and see, bet heat distribution is better.

You can buy aluminum tape that is meant for taping hot things at Home Depot or wherever. It's with the heating ductwork stuff.

The foil tape works best, just leave the adhesive backing on and foil tape it to the bottom.

If its already stuck on, do NOT remove it just for cleaning. Just be careful not to submerge it when cleaning and it should be fine. Peeling it off could damage the heating element.

i just put the viv on a styrofoam rectangle and put the UTH strait underneath the viv, no tape o sticky stuff.

the styrofoam reflects heat back into the viv so less heat is lost !

hope it helped

I stick all my UTH's to the bottom of the tank and have had no problems cleaning at all. I just don't submerge the tank. It's rather easy for me to clean this way, though as I have a "sprayer" on my sink.

I haven't stuck one to the bottom of a tank in ages. I just leave them on the surface and put the tanks above them. Hard to get the temps right with it stuck unless you have a thermostat from day one to regulate the temps.

I have two that have the paper left on and it doesn't seem to be bothering them at all... no colour change, no singeing, no smell :)

Back