• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

UTH's

Thulsa

Purging is at hand
Can the above item be used on a regular 20 gallon aquarium? The product description says no. And also, What would be the best wattage be if I can use it. Thulsa has her own room where the temp range is between 78(evening) and 86(daytime).

Find a UTH the appropriate size for a 20 gallon, they do exist. Don't forget to get a thermostat to regulate the temps also.

Your UTH needs to cover one-third the floor area of the tank. The capacity of the tank and the wattage of the mat aren't issues - the floorspace is what you need to measure against the size of the UTH.

There's no link on your original post so not sure which UTH you're talking about. I've never heard of one that says it can't be used with a specific capacity of tank, as that's not how they're measured. However, if you're looking to use a glass tank and the instructions say to not use the UTH with a glass tank, then avoid it. There are plenty of UTHs out there which can be used safely with glass tanks.

Chances are that it's fine to use in the manner we use them in, which is with a lamp dimmer or thermostat to keep it below 85F. You won't find any that say you can use it with a plastic bin on a wooden/melamine shelf either. ;)

I think they must mean they don't work underwater, in aquariums. I have a bunch of those. You have to have a thermostat or rheostat (as with nearly all UTHs) because it will get up over 120F.

Nanci's correct. They say not to use on aquariums as they are not meant as a heating device for a fish tank. I have the ZooMed UTHs on all my terrariums. You will need a device to regulate the heat output as they do get way too hot for corns. I would not recommend the ZooMed Rheostat as I've found that even at the lowest setting it did not lower the temperature of the UTH enough. Either pick up a lamp dimmer (which is essentially a rheostat) at a hardware or department store, or a thermostat of which I would recommend the one from ZooMed. There are other thermostats such as the Herpstat that are more expensive, but they do have more features.

I decided to go with a red light over the tank for in the evenings. During the day the room stays warm enough as it is a spare room and I can regulate the temperature with the vent. Living in Florida its stays warm enough during the day.

Attachments

• thulsa4.jpg
    thulsa4.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Well.... the purpose of the UTH is to provide belly heat which the snake needs for digestion. He's not gonna get that from a lamp. It also allows the snake to thermo-regulate by choosing the warm or cool area of the tank.

Back