• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

ventilation

mattsnake

snake hunter
Just picked up a bunch of new sterilite plastic boxes. I need to know how many holes-the size of a nail- that I should make. I don't want to waste my time making too many holes but I need adequate ventilation. The boxes are 2.7qt and 6.2qt.

I do the holes depending on the humidity inside of the boxes. I start off with 2 rows of 4 holes on top then 2 rows of 4 holes on opposite side bottom, for cross ventilation. I then add more holes slowly until I get the humidity level to where I want it. Everyone does it different that I've seen, some are 1 line across the whole box.

If I'm not mistaken, someone can correct me but 50-60% humidity is sufficient, a little more if there shedding. I have enough holes to maintain 55% avg humidity then I tape up some holes (on the outside) when they shed to raise the level to 70%.

I also use a hot soldering iron to make the holes because it's the right size and I don't have to worry about jagged holes from drill bits.

Are you using these for hatchlings? I would make the smallest holes possible. I use a soldering iron, just the straight, solid kind, and my hatchies will press their noses into those holes and push. I haven't had an escape, but they _will_ try.

For hatchlings in an enclosed rack in shoeboxes (I think 6 quart) I do one row completely across the front and the back, and two more rows in the center- 10, 3, 4.

Yes these will be used for hatchlings on an open shelf/rack system. I dont posses a soldering iron. I make holes by heating up a nail with a lighter and then hammering it through. The holes come out good I just need to know how many to make

Does anybody know if that soldering iron makes not too big holes? I will be housing hatchlings and I punched the holes all the way through the tip. Now Im concerned there too big. They are just about 1/4in. in diameter:poke:

These are holes made using that soldering iron. I punched all the way through. This is an 8.7g snake, but I have babies down to 4g in those bins. They press their little noses against the holes, but they can't get through!

Attachments

• Miami C models holes-1.jpg
    Miami C models holes-1.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 57
I've been calling this "girl" Big Red- just because she's the reddest of this clutch. She's going to be bright!!

Attachments

• Miami C models holes-2.jpg
    Miami C models holes-2.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 57
Big Red is now a male! Miami Phase. A kind of odd one in the clutch. He's Baby C when you look at the first shed and fed thread.

Back