• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

vermiculite and water

rastasheep

how much water do you lot put with your vermiculite?

and how quick after adding mroe water will the eggs return to normal from being dimpled on the second day of them being laid?

Many people will give you a formula based on weight.

Personally, I am too darned lazy to weigh everything, so I do a 'by volume' measurement. Take two identically sized cups. Fill one with water and dump that into a bucket. Then take 5 or 6 cups of vermiculite and dump them in the bucket with the water. Do that as often as necessary until the bucket is filled with as much vermiculite as you will be needing. Mix thoroughly to make sure all of the vermiculite has absorbed all of the water evenly.

You're done! Check it as needed to make sure it doesn't dry out before the eggs begin hatching.

Good luck!

hey rich is that 1.5/6 mix then, lol

anyone use perlite,i use this on my gecko eggs ,
thats 1 part perlite to .8 parts of water,
would that be right for corn eggs as i want to get away from using verculite ???

That is 1 part water and 5 parts OR 6 parts vermiculite. I tend to use a slightly wetter medium in smaller containers then I do in large containers. Plus I have noticed that containers will tend to dry out in the upper rows of the racks and on the outside edges. So those that I know will be going in those locations, I will start them out slightly wetter.

If you live in an arid part of the country/world, you may have to check the medium more frequently.

oh

right
cheers for that
do you put any ent holes in the top of your incubator thingy? i haven't got any holes, its not totally air tight as its an ice cream tub:D
i lifted the lid today and loads of water run off the lid. is that normal? or should it only be slight condesation?

cheers, russ

I try to duplicate nature as much as is possible in the way I set up the eggs. I have found a lot of clutches of eggs in the wild, but never have I found any in an airtight container. Bear in mind that the eggs are respirating. Intaking oxygen and exhaling carbon dioxide. Granted it's not much, but when the proportion of CO2 to oxygen gets too much, can it harm the eggs? Heck, since even airholes in the tops of my containers allow air in, CO2 is still heavier than air, so will tend to stay in the boxes. But so far I haven't seen any problems I can pin on that as being the cause.

We use pretty much the same ratio for the leopard geckos, but tend to be more in the 1/6 ratio rather than the 1/5 ratio.

Back