• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Very Agressive

natfoth

Snake Lover
Hey everyone!

So ive had my corn snake, names Drake, for about a month now. But lately she has become very aggressive. Ive been feeding her in a different cage about once a week. She is still a baby right now. I check the temp and its about 70 in the cage. I thought it could be because she was shedding. but its been a week now since she has done so. Ive been trying to handle her as much as possible also. Any suggestions on what to do will be greatly appreciated :)

I have a new corn myself. One thing I noticed is your temps on the whole are a little low. Your cool side should be in the mid to low 70' with your warm side at about 80-85. I doubt this is making her aggressive though just an observation. As with any animal the disposition of your snakes will vary. Some are calm...and some not so much. When you ay aggressive what to you mean by this? Often people mistake normal, timid, or stress induced behavior a aggression even when it isn't. I would make sure you are washing your hands well before handling to rid yourself of animal scents and continiue handling 3 days a week for 5-10 minutes 72 hours after each feeding though to avoid regurge. If in a few months your little girl is still a spaz or aggresive this may be her disposition naturally. I own geckos that will jump right on me and come out to see me when I open their tubs and others who run away, bark, sqeak, and growl whenever I come near. Give her some time if he is still young and new..she may grow into a friendly snake yet:bird:

In my experience, pissy hatchlings often make pissy adults. Not always, and I don't handle my animals a ton. But the bitey babies I kept back over the years are still the ones that rattle and strike, the calm ones are the ones I'll hand to a child. If you only have one snake and it's a corn, odds are really, really good that it'll calm with regular handling. Also, (as mentioned) you need to get your temps up. Unfortunately, that's not going to make it any calmer!

ok, thanks for the help guys. my vets told me that it should come down soon. i hope it does, i want it to be a family snake.

Most do chill when they get some mass on them. Frequent handling and getting some meals in it will go a long way. For the person with one snake, few if any corns won't tame completely.

FYI, temps should be mid-high 70s on the cool side, mid-high 80s on the warm side.

How are you measuring the temperature to be 70? If you have a faulty reading, you could find it's too hot in there, and that could make the snake aggressive. However if 70 is correct, that's too cool for digestion, and you could risk a regurge.

You may find this little one calms down with age - hope so!

maybe try to increase feedings to every 4-5 days. maybe drake is hungry. mine does that when she is ready for the next meal.

ok well ive been following your guys advise, but its been about 1 month and hes still being quite digressive. Any other suggestions you guys might have?

hang in there. Don't become reluctant to handle him (not that I am the handling queen or anything I've only just started being consistent handling my boy).

Maybe do a search for aggressive behavior within the forums. I've read quite a few stories of snakes who strike - even pictures of large snakes attached to hands... lol I would bet just as elrojo said he will calm down with time.

One of my creamsicle is especially aggresive during feeding time.. she'll get into the typical "S" shape and strike at almost anything in sight (sometimes I wonder if she's being protective of her meal ) Yet I know she's just pissed off being man-handled, it all comes down to personality in my expirence. I've never heard of a snake being "tamed".. they're very unpredictable creatures.

No worries. The baby probably just isn't used to you yet. One of my adult males rattles his tail and curls up, ready to strike, when he's upset (either from being spooked, in a bad mood, etc). Babies just need to be held for short periods weekly to get them used to being held. Corns are like people in the sense that they all have different personalities. And they do have bad days, when they don't want to be touched. What I do, is I have my snakes in a very quiet place, so they have all day and night to relax when they're not being handled. He/she could just be stressed from a noisy area or coming to a new home. Typically I let my new snakes rest by themselves for the first 3 days, feed them a small meal on the 4th day, and give them until the 7th or 8th day to begin handling. Handling a baby too much can stress them out, and cause them to be a little aggressive. Think about it from their point of view, you're a monster compared to them, and their natural instinct (before getting to know you) is that this monster is trying to eat me. Babies especially think this way. Just give him/her some time to acclimate to their new home. Then try gentle handling maybe 3-4 times a week but only for short intervals (15 minutes tops). Although you may want to handle them more, and it's hard to resist, you must for the first few weeks until they get used to you and calm down. My four adults are all very tame and sweet. One of which began as a very snippy little baby that wouldn't let me get near him (which is the one that rattles). One trick I use, is when they curl up and are getting ready to strike (which doesn't hurt when they bite), I use wood tongs I got from a pet store to lightly touch the snake's back end. This in a way trains them to let them know it's you, as well as gets them on the move. They will want to avoid the tongs (not sure why, unless of course, there's food attached). When my male tries to slither away, I'm then able to pick him up since he's then out of the striking position. Not 100% sure why this works, but it has always worked for me when any one of my snakes are in a bad mood and I need to pick them up (rather it's to clean their cage, to put them in another container to feed, etc). It's similar to the method that the crocodile hunter used to use when handling wild snakes, prior to his death. I don't recommend this technique with a wild snake or a venomous snake, as you can get a hold of the snake this way, but it doesn't stop them from biting you once you have picked them up. I hope this helps a little. Just continue gentle handling. Let him/her slither inbetween your fingers and move slowly with your snake. Fast movements can startle them. Just keep your hands moving slowly, so if they want to go from one hand to another, they can.

I don't even touch babies except to sex them and clean cages. They *should* strike at first or at least be "whippy." Once they have gained a few dozen grams, they tend to calm. Few corns won't tame, but in my experience; they do exist.
2lihnpg.jpg

This one still bites, six years later!

Elrojo, you totally contradicted yourself in this post. You said you don't handle babies except to sex them, however, previously you mentioned that she should be handling her snake more often to tame it down. Just letting you know.

Back