• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Very... Disgruntled?

Der_Doe12

Alright. I've searched these forums high and low and cannot for the life of me find the answer to this rather silly question but it is bugging me and it got me thinking.

So. The Ambient temp for Kingsley's cage is 77° Fahrenheit. I know that not terrible. But its not really recommended either. So my question. How in this world would I raise it to the appropriate 80°-85°? I found one thing that may help but then it was shot down. Said to remove some Aspen. But there is already an inch of it in the tank so I don't know. I'm stumped. Should I raise the temp on my stat? Its set to 83°(Probe on the glass directly above the UTH, of course) but it fluctuates from 82.9°(When it kicks on) to, duh 83.0° when it kicks off. But it'll get to 85.7° before it starts to cool down. He likes to burrow after his meals so I don't want to get it too hot. Any suggestions? Besides raising the temp in my room. I'd like to avoid that if possible lol. Its a steady 70°-75° in the room.

Should add, I'm using an accurite thermometer to monitor the temp, just for a quick glance. But I have the Zoo Med Infared thermometer to check appropriately check when I'm changing water, feeding etc.
I'll add. The accurite actually does pretty good. Only a degree maybe 2 off from what the infared says lol.

The ambient temp doesn't matter as long as he can get down and snuggle on the warm glass over the UTH if he wants to. That said, you could safely raise the temp 2F. And ambient temp of 65-70, as long as the snake can get to a spot with a temp of 82-86, is just fine.

Adding more aspen will actually insulate the viv better, and give him a broader range of temps to choose from.

This is a good example of why some people prefer proportional thermostats vs on/off thermostats; the proportional stat's temp varies about .5F, compared to several degrees with the on/off type. Now does that temp swing matter to your cornsnake or not? Probably not. Myself, as a keeper- I want to see a steadier temp.

What does the gradient from the warm side to tbe cool side look like? From what I've learned, and I'm by no means an expert, it looks like you're fine. You have a place for your snake to burrow and get to 85F for digestion and 77F seems fine for an ambient temperature as the ambient is less important than surface temperature. Someone with more experience might correct me but it seems good to go.

Sounds fine to me, too. I think the snake's behavior will let you know if you need to make a change. It gets to the low 70s in my snake bins and I have 2 that hang out in cool hides/under aspen unless they are digesting.

Thanks for the responses! Alright. I'll try not to worry too much about it then lol.
I was thinking of raising the stat temp to 85° so it would reach 87° max. I don't really mind the fluctuation because I only have 2 snakes. If I had more I would be concerned.

I just a lamp in conjunction with an undertank heating mat. I have 50 watt and 75 watt infrared bulbs to use depending on the season.
The midair temp on the warm side can get as hot as 85-90 even on the coldest days. My snake doesn't have to burrow to find the heat for digestion. I have a 36-inch tank though so it allows me to offer a large gradient of temperatures, and I like the idea of having a hot spot for the snake whenever he desires it.
The cool end remains at around 70-75, and I can always switch the lamp off.
I often leave a door or window open for cool air to blow into the room so it doesn't get sweltering in there.

Back