• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Vines, greenery, how to secure & hang

EmbersMom

And then there were three
I would really like some vines/greenery along the back wall of the viv, and/or in the corner like NavBouy's nifty new homemade viv he posted. Will anyone share the best way to secure/install? I have 2 29L glass aquariums with screen tops with metal locking clips. Would like any ideas or what has worked/failed. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Nick. That's a good idea...............Hey, you have good taste in names. My snake is Ember, too. And my cat is Oreo! :D

You're welcome!

And thanks! You have good taste in names too! :). Ember is named Ember because she is bright red-orange and reminds me of a burning ember. Oreo is, well, because when he was a baby he looked like a bunch of Oreos stacked on top of eachother!

My ember is copper and silver, and also reminds me of glowing embers! Our Oreo is all white with several round black spots on her. The pound named her, and my girls thought it was cute so we kept it. :) Oh, and I used to have a bunny named Butterscotch! :D

Glue gun rules,
no chemicals.....safe for use after about 20 seconds...once you get one you start finding things to use it on....lol

Oh I have one..........Never thought to use it to secure vines tho...............but I will. I totally will!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with copey glue guns are epic. I use mine all the time for random stuff. A little heads up tho, If your blowing on something to get it to dry faster try not and touch it with your lips. Hot glue on the lips hurrrrrtttttssssss lol

My only thought about using glue guns to secure vines is that you'll have to redo the glue every time you take the vine down to be cleaned, which could be a pain. Because, if your snakes are like mine, they will take perverse delight in pooping on it...regularly. ;)

That's a good point. I think I will try the command hooks first, see how they work! Although Ember does not appear to be a climber. I had a nice log in there the first 2 weeks and he never went up it - it just seemed to be in his way so I took it out. He likes to be low and hidden. When I move him up to a 33L viv and there's more room I plan to put it back in and see if he'll climb at all.

I crafted a heavy base for my standing up green things.

I'm still trying to come up with a good way to hang my hanging flower things (they're not exactly vines). My corn loves to climb (when he thinks no one is looking). And he will climb all kinds of things that weren't meant for climbing, either pulling them down or falling off. So I have to be careful about both possibilities. He'll pull down hot glue eventually (since it's on glass, it's weak). He'll pull down suction cups and try to balance on hooks. I'll let you know if I come up with anything...

I bought a small and medium flukers bend a branch and then a flukers vine. I intertwined all 3,bent to my liking and placed in the viv. Fills up a 20L quite nicely and gives you more of a 3D effect. Both Ash and Ember love climbing on theirs.

Back