• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

vision

Quigs

"Got R Did"
My co-workers just recently found out that I have a few snakes. (17, all corns) Naturally, they tease me about it ALL the time. They ask me questions constantly, usually loaded questions, really just to get a rise out of me but sometimes I think they are genuinely curious. Normally I have a snappy reply and/or a witty responce for them.

My boss call me "snake man" amongst other nick names that I won't mention. And always asks me if I watch the "crocidile guy".

Anyway, today the boss and I were standing around talking about a job and about this stain glass that has to be done. Another guy comes out of the office mid conversation and says something to the effect of, "Stained glass? Quigs is gonna put stained glass in all his snake cages?" Just being a wise guy. Then my boss turns and asks me if snakes can see color or are they color blind as with many mammals?

Finally they have stumped me! I did not know the answer to that one.

I guess it never really dawned on me or concerned me for that matter. I know they have excellent vision with animated items, but how about color? I have heard many stories about snakes not eating certain colored mice. I only white mice so I have not expierenced that myself.

Can someone please shed some light on this matter?

Opinions...fact...I'm sure someone somewhere along the line has researched it and done studies about it. I'd love to give the guys an answer when I go in, in the morning!

Thanks,

Quigs

Cone cells, located in the retina of the eye, are used to see color and require a lot of light to work properly which is why we don't see color very well in the dark.

Rod cells, also in the retina of the eye, are used to see black and white vision and do not require as much light.

Corns and many other snakes lack functional cones (for which there are thousands) in the retina of their eyes and thus do not see color or very limited color.

Your corn may still enjoy your stained glass artwork, just not the colors. :p

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks Neumann, for the detailed explanation. I didn't have time last night to reply to you. But I did tell the boss this afternoon. Of course he just laughs at me. lol

Off topic...

I do custom cabinet and millwork. The small company I just started working for primarily produces commercial bars and fixtures. That's where the stained glass conversation came about from the begining. The owner of the shop does quite a bit of it but it's mainly a hobby of his.

Thanks again,

Quigs

still off topic

Hey Quigs!

I am a full time self employeed furniture maker. It is good to know that there are other woodworkers on this forum. I can understand what you say when it is mainly a hobby of his. It is hard to make a living with your hobbies... But I keep trying.

Anyway....

Tell them at work that snakes see in color and in the dark and can see sonar (pit viper) and tell that that they have x-ray vision.

Aaron

Quigs, Dovetailthis,

My grandfather was a cabinet maker too. It's a beautiful craft. Unfortunately, none of those genes have surfaced in me yet and I can't cut my way out of a cardboard box. With some luck, maybe I was //het// for wood working and the trait will surface in one of my children. ;)

Jason

I would think they have a very limited color awareness in their vision, as they tend to mostly nocturnal creatures.

And from personal experience, several of my snakes go plum nuts over colored mice. Sure they'll eat white mice, but when it's a brown or black one...make sure you sit on the lid, as they'll strike and coil like crazy.

It's like they know that white mice have very little in the way of predator/prey instincts...and darker mice could possibly be a battle weary, wild mouse that'll bite like the dickens. They seemingly see the potential threat and act more cautious and aggressive in making sure the mouse is dead before they start to feed.

Just my two cents. =)

Back