• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Visionarium Cages

IguanaMama

Love at first sight
Does anyone have any experience or opinions on these? They are new and look like they fit my asthetic, space and budget criteria. I'm thinking of it for Leopard geckos as well as cornsnakes. My biggest concern is ventilation. Any advice or alternatives are welcome.

Well, I ordered a couple of these, so I guess my snakes are going to be the guinea pigs. I'll let you all know how they are when they are set up, but they looked nice. I had the opportunity to see them in person before I ordered.

Is there a link to this product? What kind of doors are on this cage? Escape proof?

Most sliding glass door enclosures require modification in order to prevent escapes by smaller snakes. The easiest, but least aesthetically pleasing, is to place adhesive weather stripping between the two overlapping section of the sliding glass panels.

If you don't take some kind of action, young corns will be gone. ;)

They are really nice enclosures, we have two. We bought them from a vendor at a reptile show. And yes, the little ones will slip right out. We lost one right away before we knew it. There is a divider that you can install easily enough to make two tanks in one if you have yearlings. It works just fine for the larger neonates that we have. They are super easy to put together, the corner ventilation is nice and they look good - much like a fish tank.

On the down side....
So far we have not found a suitably sized heat/light hood (most are too tall)to fit so that we can stack them. That is part of what made them so appealing and we'd like to find the right size hood. We tried to order the one on their site. It took longer than expected to reach us and then it wasn't what was on their website. When we contacted them about it, they told us that they weren't able to get the one on their site and they sent us one that was actually more expensive, but we wouldn't have to make up the difference. Well, it wouldn't work for any snake tank, it was an under shelf light. My husband wanted to keep it for another non-snake related project, so we still don't have anything the right size. We have standard sized hoods that fit in the recessed portion just fine, but they're too tall to stack the tanks.

I've contacted the company about the larger sizes and they said the 30T should be out in a few months and the other sizes sometime after that. I'd like to get the 30T size, but I think we're going to start building our own vivs because our collection is expanding faster than we can afford to keep buying premades.

I hope this helps.

I don't have experience with those cages, but small corn snakes are great escape artists! I had two baby cornsnakes escape from an escapeproof boaphile rack and one corn almost make it out of a vision cage. She had pushed her way between two panes of glass in front of the cage. She was half way out when I caught her in the act.

I"d use wooden dowels to make sure the glass can't be pushed aside to make room for the snake to slide through.

Excellent point, Indy!

We do have a rod inserted in the grooves to keep the outermost door from being pushed open.

Thank you! I have two dowels for cages with smaller snakes. One to keep the door closed and another to keep them from squeezing between the glass doors. The horizontal dowel keeps the vertical one in place. Works like a charm!

They're here-what UTH????

The visionariums arrived today, I set one up, it only took minutes, real easy and it looks GREAT!

IMPORTANT QUESTION: It seems that the maximum depth of UTH it will take would be 8". Does anyone have a suggestion as to BRAND and size UTH I should use? It would go under the tank, the bottom is PLASTIC and my apartment is very warm, never drops below 70, even at night. It's in the high 70's now.

IguanaMama,

ZOO MED Reptitherm U.T.H.
(6"x8") 10-20 gallon

THIS SHOULD FIT, I ALSO USE A RHEOSTAT TO CONTROL THE HEAT.

I HOPE THIS HELPS.

We found the right top light source by ESU. It fits just fine. but it isn't really a heat lamp. We are not using any UTH because of the plastic issue. I want to contact the company and ask what they recommend.

I called Vision, they recommend T-Rex brand. Now, I have been using t-rex cobra mats, but the thing about them is that they don't really heat the air, just the "stuff" in the tank. That is fine for the snakes, as they like belly heat, but I'm not sure about that for my leopard geckos. T-rex also claims to be safe for plastic. Any opinions?

I'm glad you found the fixture that works. I want light, not for the heat, but just so I could see the animals! I'll look for the esu one.

I think my snakes are too big to escape, but I'll use a dowel just in case. Thanks for the tips. I really like the way they look!

I want to get one, I'd probably put a ball python in htere, or a hog island boa, or eventually get two tanks and have both of these in seperate, but it would be nice for my corns too. they are nice looking.

wait wait, are you talking about the all sided see through one? or the one where you can only see threw the front sliders, and the rest is the granite body, and the venting on the top back? That is the kind I want, those are expensive, well depending on which size. also, how would you get a regular lamp in there, it sais there is a dome for lamps, but what is this dome? is it a cut out or how does this work? if anyone knows, I would greatly appreciate the info.

Sorry for my ingorance but what is the difference between these and a normal viv??? they look like yet another normal typ of viv to me. Maybe I'm missing something?

Acradon

Acradon....

Visionarium cages are designed to be aquarium style enclosures, so you can see in from all sides like a fish tank. They are built much like the all plastic Vision cages, with the added perk of being able to view your critter from every angle. They look very nice when stacked.

IguanaMama.....

Thanks for getting the info on the Cobra mats. We will get those. I was SO concerned about putting a UTH with these, but we will go with the Cobras. The ESU lights really show off the enclosure! Get the normal one, there's also one for desert and one for night time. It's $$, about $40 and the bulbs are $20ish, but it's a worthwhile investment since they display so well.

Bigappleherp.com

FYI, Bigappleherp.com makes the same kind of heat mats as the t-rex cobras, slightly less in price. They're called dragon's lair heat mats, and they can also be used on plastic. I ordered those after I spoke to bah, because I'm in NY and they ship really fast, last time my order arrived next day. Besides, I LOVE paying NY sales tax.....NOT!

The advantage to the visionariums, vs regular vivs is that they come apart so they ship and move easy, they have front sliding glass doors, which means that you could stack them and it makes access to the animals really easy and the corner posts are ventilated. They also just look REALLY NICE. I am in an apartment, wish I had a seperate herp room, but don't, so looks are really important to me. The bottom has a recessed area to take a heat mat and the top is moulded down to fit a flourescent type fixure. The top is a plastic framed screen. You could also get the screen with a hole drilled to drop an incandescent fixture down for basking but then you have a bare light bulb right there in the viv. However, bah sells a bulb cage that would work with it.

I still haven't moved my animals in yet.

oh, I was talking about the other vision cages, like the 200.00 ones. They are big, and only the front is see through, with the sliding doors and such. I saw them on the same site link you made for those other all plastic sided ones you guys are talking about.

Back