• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Visually Determining Hets...

Puritania

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I figure here is as good of a place as any. I have a yearling Anery, displaying some really intriguing markings. Almost looks like pieces of an Aztec/Zig Zag pattern. Also, he's got a much lighter head than my other Anerys. Now, is it possible that these are just his genetic traits showing through, or just fun patterning? Here's some pictures of his patterns:
Picture540.jpg

Picture542.jpg

And here is his/her head, the front half is sooo light:
Picture541.jpg

Now, please excuse me if I sound like a noob about this, but I don't have his genetic history at all. All I know is that he/she's over a year and a half, a bit on the small side, and he/she was owned by a 10 year old girl that got bored, and decided that since I have alot of snakes, he'd be better off with me. Mind you, she DID get duct tape stuck all over the snake a mere month before she gave him to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated, it's nice to know what genetics I'm working with. Most of them are kind of questionable.

On a totally different note, one of my yearling Amel's, and my '04 snow have alot of green in the white, and they're the only two that have it. Meaningless, or does this mean anything??

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts on this.
-Jaz

Pattern anomalies like what you're seeing in your anery are very common in cornsnakes and are not indicators of any het genes. Your snake may have a tendency to reproduce the zigzag/aztec pattern, but that's the nature of that pattern anyway.

As for your anery's color/light head...that's also typically seen. There is such a wide color variation in anerys that if someone has more than one, the chances are very good that they won't be alike.

As for the greenish color in the white of your amel and snow, another common finding. In the extreme cases, these individuals have been marketed under specific trade names. It is not a particular genetic trait, just a specific look that has been selected for.

Duct tape?! How the heck does a snake get covered in duct tape?! Not by accident!

Apparently what happened was the girl duct taped the cage closed, and he was determined to get out anyways. While he was trying to make the escape, the duct tape stuck to him. They found him in a shoe, covered in the stuff. I'm pretty glad that she gave him away. Silly people.... tape should not be allowed anywhere near snakes.

I made that mistake once. I fixed a hole in first corn snakes lid with electrical tape and kitchen cloth. The poor little thing ended up all taped and tangled and had it's jaw stuck off to a 45° angle.
I've since learned better housing techniques.

Back