• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Vitamins and stuff

w00dg0blin

Does anyone use vitamins and stuff? How important is Vitamin D3 and is it only in the Calcium supplements? :shrugs:

I sometimes use a D3+calcium supplement for breeding females but I'm not really convinced that it helps with egg shell formation. I've had dodgy shells from females that have been supplemented for months before laying, and great eggs from unsupplemented females. I think I give it for my benefit rather than theirs!

Calcium can only be metabolised if the snake has enough vitamin D3 in their system. Without enough D3, the calcium just goes in one end and out the other without doing any good. For that reason, I always choose a supplement that's D3+calcium combined and I try to start it round about mating time rather than waiting until she's gravid.

Here in the UK I normally buy "Zolcal-D" but not sure what the US equivalent would be.

I inject my f/t rats and mice with Vit. C on advice of my reptile vet. I had dissolved reptile vitamins in water and was injecting that into my mice, but recent bloodwork on my false water cobra showed excessive calcium levels. We've decided to not use the vitamins. Although my vet said that females at breeding time often show higher calcium levels, he thought that perhaps the Vit D was creating excessive calcium uptake. I've discontinued use of the vitamins at this time and we'll recheck her blood levels again later. The vitamin c is being continued though.

Back