• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Viv Fever

vovalyosha

Хоккей и
Alright, there's the thing:

This year, back in March, I picked up a Snow corn from a local small-scale breeder. He had two adults and he sold the babies normally to those around. God, I hate this.

Anyways, this man apparently asked his friend, pregnant wife, and nearly 2-year-old to take care of the adults and babies for a while. When the friend, whose name is Scott and my friend, got them, there were 20+ babies in a 20g, an already gravid mommy and happy daddy. Parents were healthy and everything, but the babies were not. Most, if nearly all, were extremely sick and malnourished. The man had used duck tape on the INSIDE of the 20g and a heating pad underneath, to "keep the heat in". Well, the pad wasn't regulated and a lot of babies I assumed were on the verge of burning to death. When Scott went in to put them into individual tubs, they were all wrapped up in this huge (I forget the cursing rules, my apologies) freaking duck tape ball. All in all, every single baby died from sickness or from the duck tape. They had tried removing them carefully, but it took irreplaceable chunks out and there was no hope, it was that severe. There are pictures somewhere on my computer, but I REALLY do not wish to endure that right now.

Anyways, one baby survived, and the only place that is visible is behind his neck, where there is a huge scar from the tape removing part of his body. It had well healed over, since he was over a year old by March when Scott had finally decided to part with him to prepare for his first clutch from the mommy.

At first, Vladimir was fine. Shy at first, but came out of his shell. In the past couple of months, he has been moody and going a little loopy every time I take him out. He's so cautious, it's weird. This March, he will be two years old. My YEARLING is bigger than he is, but I have kept Vladimir on his proper weight ratio to prey size since obtaining him. I usually open his lid and he sees this, and comes out on his own. If I try and reach in to get him, he shies away and will REFUSE to come out, avoiding my hand at all costs. I have never had a problem removing snakes of any size out of their vivs before, I just don't know what to do.

I know it takes awhile to build the body back up after being treated like that, but it's been about a year and a half now. Could it be something internal, perhaps? Could something even affect him for this long, without killing him? I have considered taking him to the vet, but the only one near me I am a little weary of and a simple check up for exotics is 300.

My Volodya is super sweet outside of his viv, it's just that damned viv and him that I can't seem to break him out of. I know he was always live fed in his viv since Scott got them all and dealt with that, but he was immediately switched to tub-feeding f/t mice. I just don't get what is going wrong, and why I can't seem to fix it. :/ I know that some snakes aren't going to be as easy as others, it's just this dual personality that is FRUSTRATING ME. :realhot:

Back